PDA

View Full Version : Golds Aqurium question

SleepyPirate
05-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Just wondering why golds aqurium isnt really apart of this site? Not that Iv noticed anyways they seem to be the cheapest in calgary for alot of saltwater related live stock.

Lexy
05-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Just wondering why golds aqurium isnt really apart of this site? Not that Iv noticed anyways they seem to be the cheapest in calgary for alot of saltwater related live stock.

Gold Aquarium doesn't have website at this moment. They are working on it and should launch pretty soon and they will in here forsure.

11purewater
05-28-2013, 02:01 AM
They have one,but last update was 2008 I think :biggrin:

The Grizz
05-28-2013, 02:19 AM

There not a part of this site cause they are not a sponsored vendor, plain & simple.

SleepyPirate
05-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Perfect responses thanks, suppose that's why other stores in Calgary are not on here either. To bad. Thanks for feed back guys.

The Grizz
05-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Perfect responses thanks, suppose that's why other stores in Calgary are not on here either. To bad. Thanks for feed back guys.

Only 2 Calgary shop are smart & sponsor here, wish the others would get on board like Concept & Reef Wonderland have. Considering there are 4 Edmonton shops as sponsors, it's a great way to reach the reefing public.

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Only 2 Calgary shop are smart & sponsor here, wish the others would get on board like Concept & Reef Wonderland have. Considering there are 4 Edmonton shops as sponsors, it's a great way to reach the reefing public.

That's a terribly condescending way of stating the matter -____-

The Grizz
05-28-2013, 03:20 AM
That's a terribly condescending way of stating the matter -____-

Well if saying they are smart for advertising there business here is terribly condescending then so be it. Advertising for a select business is key to survival IMO & that's what it is MY OPINION.

Delphinus
05-28-2013, 04:27 AM
I find it ironic that I know better what is available at a given moment in stores in a different city than I live in, than stores in my own city. I wish more stores would consider sponsorship of this forum - I guess there is enough loyal customer base that maybe they don't need to - which is, I guess, awesome for them - but speaking only for myself, because time is somewhat pressured these days, I end up directing more of my business to those stores who have a presence on this forum. I really enjoy shopping at Gold Aquariums and I regret that I can't go in every few days just to see what is new, but that is kinda reality I guess.

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Well if saying they are smart for advertising there business here is terribly condescending then so be it. Advertising for a select business is key to survival IMO & that's what it is MY OPINION.

So who do you suppose is going to maintain their site? It would be like a full time job for four people, you know that man, haha. That place's inventory is insane!

fishytime
05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
So who do you suppose is going to maintain their site? It would be like a full time job for four people, you know that man, haha. That place's inventory is insane!

There is nothing saying you have to have a functional website to have a presence here.....

fishpoops
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Not all business people are tech savvy and do not realize the growing importance of online social media. Whether it is through a forum, a FB page or a standalone website. I know at least one Calgary LFS that took me months to discover because it did not show up when I google searched under various terms for fish/aquarium stores. Not sure if that previous statement was condescending or rude because it is smart to have an online presence. According to a survey I just made up: 40 percent of the population now use the Internet to pre shop before going to stores to pick up their purchase or order online

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

michika
05-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Not all business people are tech savvy and do not realize the growing importance of online social media. Whether it is through a forum, a FB page or a standalone website. I know at least one Calgary LFS that took me months to discover because it did not show up when I google searched under various terms for fish/aquarium stores. Not sure if that previous statement was condescending or rude because it is smart to have an online presence. According to a survey I just made up: 40 percent of the population now use the Internet to pre shop before going to stores to pick up their purchase or order online

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well given the decline of the printed (and used) phone book and its replacement by digital media, the internet, I'm going to go ahead and say that chances are nobody is shopping at some businesses soley because they don't know about them. Mindreading skills are not listed on the form of pre-requisit skills for reefing. Join the 21st century or don't, natural attrition will prevail.

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Well given the decline of the printed (and used) phone book and its replacement by digital media, the internet, I'm going to go ahead and say that chances are nobody is shopping at some businesses soley because they don't know about them. Mindreading skills are not listed on the form of pre-requisit skills for reefing. Join the 21st century or don't, natural attrition will prevail.

This is not realistic. There are a large number of businesses out there that don't have the resources (human, time, data, money, whatever) to "join the 21st century".

Lumping all of them together under the single umbrella of ignorance is a red herring to the myriad reasons and challenges behind a business's predisposition(or lack-thereof) towards having a website/online presence.

Hey, I'm not fighting ya on the idea. If it was up to me, ALL businesses would have amazing online retail fronts. But many can't, and much of these "websites" are nothing more than glorified business cards. If a business can do without that, then investing the time and effort into maintaining one might not be all that high on their priorities list.

As far as your last line, that's a bit of a throwaway in this particular instance. I mean c'mon, I'm sure those guys are all crying at the thought of all the business they've been losing over the last few years by not having an online presence.... As they drive home in their Porches, Lexus' and BMW's...

lastlight
05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
As they drive home in their Porches, Lexus' and BMW's...

and that's just Dave's collection right? lol.

I don't think it's realistic for them or even worth it to take the necessary to steps to have a complete online presence. What I do wish they did was post on the board as a sponsor and have something as simple as a facebook page that they posted mobile pics to which could very easily be done. New inventory arrives and snap some pics. Don't even need to update availability but a little clue about what's going on without driving up there would be really useful and easy to do.

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
and that's just Dave's collection right? lol.

I don't think it's realistic for them or even worth it to take the necessary to steps to have a complete online presence. What I do wish they did was post on the board as a sponsor and have something as simple as a facebook page that they posted mobile pics to which could very easily be done. New inventory arrives and snap some pics. Don't even need to update availability but a little clue about what's going on without driving up there would be really useful and easy to do.

Haha, let's be realistic dude. Let's say this place posts something along the lines of:

"Hey guys, just got in the following:

- Mack Daddy SPS
- Rainbow colored RBTA, amazing!
- Rare and unique wrasses at good prices
- LPS that you'd punch your own birth mother in the face for
- some $5 damsels, good variety"

By the time anyone took note of the ad and drove down there, they'd be purview to whatever was left of any number of humbugs and neon blues...

"Oh, you weren't parked outside waiting for us to open? So sorry..."

I kid, I kid...

#badadvice

Baker
05-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree, so easy to do now adays. No need for a website, just a facebook page and a smart phone will do. I dont like driving around to the different shops to look at frags. It would be nice to have a website for price comparison on hardware. Went to Big Als to buy a heater, only to stop in at Golds an hour later and find that the heater was $5 cheaper.:cry:

Seriak
05-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah,

It's like Concepts. As soon as or before they advertise their stock it is usually sold and gone. I don't think Gold's would gain much by posting their livestock list online as they sell out so quickly already. They would have to expand their store to hold even more stock to make the most use out of it and I think they are happy with the store as it is. (Just an assumption there)

Delphinus
05-28-2013, 03:45 PM
ime anyone took note of the ad and drove down there, they'd be purview to whatever was left of any number of humbugs and neon blues...

"Oh, you weren't parked outside waiting for us to open? So sorry..."

I know you're kidding but a serious point to consider along these lines: If that same store posted "Hey, on FRIDAY, we're expecting ... blabbity blabbity WRASSE blabbity PUNCH BIRTH MOTHER LPS blabbity blabbity etc etc" ... maybe some of us might be able to PLAN AHEAD to park outside waiting for them to open. :)

Or not, I dunno ... but point being I'm not sure it's 100% necessary to have a complete online inventory up to date to the minute... but a small online presence probably trumps no online presence at all.

For me, that small online presence does make a small difference. It's like I'm being invited to shop there, versus "We will do OK without your business." Truth is, most businesses will probably do fine without my business anyhow, so I try not to take it too personally, but OTOH when I feel like I'm being invited to come shop ..... I might just. :) Food for thought...

kien
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
If that same store posted "Hey, on FRIDAY, we're expecting ... blabbity blabbity WRASSE blabbity PUNCH BIRTH MOTHER LPS blabbity blabbity etc etc" ... maybe some of us might be able to PLAN AHEAD to park outside waiting for them to open. :)

Totally +1 !!

The bottom line is, every single store in the city that sells Saltwater goods is quite aware of Canreef. They know it exists. They have for some time. They have simply made the business decision not to participate. Probably because they just don't see the value in it. I know that many of their customers have from time to time suggested to them that they should participate on canreef, yet they continue to choose not to. We can judge all we want but really, that's their prerogative. They are still in business, and have been for quite some time. In the end, I don't think they are wrong for not wanting an online presence and I don't think we are wrong for suggesting that they would benefit from having more of an online presence.

lastlight
05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
i work from home these days so i could in theory drive down as soon as i saw the update. i agree albert most people would still be out of luck lol.

bottom line is... if your online presence consists of denny and matt for example... and people still shop at your store then any presence must be good presence right?

Seriak
05-28-2013, 04:41 PM
i work from home these days so i could in theory drive down as soon as i saw the update. i agree albert most people would still be out of luck lol.

bottom line is... if your online presence consists of denny and matt for example... and people still shop at your store then any presence must be good presence right?

lol! Can't wait for Denny and Matt's reply to this one.

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Guess most of the stores know that if anyone from out of town is asking where to shop, most are named as "must sees", whether they have a presence or not online. If anyone is looking for something specific, they start a thread and off they go.

Most of us know when the stores are getting a shipment in, looking for something specific, ask and they tell you when to expect it.

I think there's a catch 22 to the stores being on the forum. ex., Concept announces a huge sps shipment, well I'm not into sps so no need to stop by. Other stores don't announce anything, people stop in to check things out and end up spending money they maybe weren't expecting to.

The Calgary stores have been around for years and are successful with or without the internet. You can get to know the store's staff and they will provide you with info you are looking for. They rely on word of mouth and reputation from their customers. I'm sure they all read the forums to know what people are saying about them, we push enough business their way as it is, why do they need to bother with being a sponsor??

victornguyen
05-29-2013, 01:57 AM
We'll actually getting set to launch on canreef in the near future, have been trying to contact the admins on this forum for the info. Lots of exciting things on the way!

Thanks

11purewater
05-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Make it so!

The Grizz
05-29-2013, 02:07 AM
:pop2: just for the record I didn't start this debate :biggrin:

11purewater
05-29-2013, 02:59 AM
It boils down to loyalty,customer service,customer respect,good advice without a pricetag,and consistency,and time invested by both parties.For example you won't get this fish until It's fully quarantined and feeding.As a customer of Golds for 13 years now,I've never been Ignored,no buzz off smile"we might have some later bull#$%^",or no you can't have that,It's display.It's experience over time, not pics on the web.Plus I like a fish store where nobody is sitting while dealing with me.

victornguyen
05-29-2013, 03:12 AM
We heard the message loud and clear, it's time to bring our excellent service to the digital world. Thanks to all who supported us through the years!

victornguyen
05-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Let us know what you would like to see when we are online.

fishoholic
05-29-2013, 03:33 AM
I know you're kidding but a serious point to consider along these lines: If that same store posted "Hey, on FRIDAY, we're expecting ... blabbity blabbity WRASSE blabbity PUNCH BIRTH MOTHER LPS blabbity blabbity etc etc" ... maybe some of us might be able to PLAN AHEAD to park outside waiting for them to open. :)

Or not, I dunno ... but point being I'm not sure it's 100% necessary to have a complete online inventory up to date to the minute... but a small online presence probably trumps no online presence at all.

For me, that small online presence does make a small difference. It's like I'm being invited to shop there, versus "We will do OK without your business." Truth is, most businesses will probably do fine without my business anyhow, so I try not to take it too personally, but OTOH when I feel like I'm being invited to come shop ..... I might just. :) Food for thought...

+1

We'll actually getting set to launch on canreef in the near future, have been trying to contact the admins on this forum for the info. Lots of exciting things on the way!

Thanks

Cool

fishoholic
05-29-2013, 03:34 AM

:lol:

SleepyPirate
05-29-2013, 03:42 AM

Thanks

Glad to hear! :director:

The Grizz
05-29-2013, 03:51 AM
We heard the message loud and clear, it's time to bring our excellent service to the digital world. Thanks to all who supported us through the years!

Let us know what you would like to see when we are online.

Don't take this the wrong way as I seen to have started a bit of a fire storm with my earlier comments & don't want to assume anything but are you with Golds?

Delphinus
05-29-2013, 04:27 AM

Thanks

Cool! Very happy to hear this!!

Titus is away from internet at the moment. You can PM me if you have questions and I can relay any questions to him, if that helps.

lastlight
05-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Awesome news!

mrhasan
05-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Whatever goes in Golds comes out as soon as they are ready to be sold. I wonder how things gonna turn if they start posting updates. Hint: boxing day queue!

globaldesigns
05-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Hmmmm.... As someone that builds these so called online presences, I am somewhat biased, but I think any business can benefit from a properly built and marketed website. Even a very basic site done the right way can increase the calls and visits to the store, as searching the net is the major source for information, outside of asking friends, family or colleagues.

kien
05-29-2013, 07:25 PM
well, things just got interesting! :pop2:

victornguyen
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Don't take this the wrong way as I seen to have started a bit of a fire storm with my earlier comments & don't want to assume anything but are you with Golds?

Yes, I am with Golds. Helping Dennis take his business to the digital world.

Treebeard
05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Good for Dennis! Does this mean he will soon be putting livestock prices on all of his tanks? :biggrin:

The Grizz
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Nice this is going to be interesting!! I like it!!

victornguyen
05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Good for Dennis! Does this mean he will soon be putting livestock prices on all of his tanks? :biggrin:

You know this will never happen, how are you suppose to view all the beautiful fishes when there's writing everywhere ;)

BC564
07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold's is always my first place to stop when I need or want something....

krg
08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
As usual, I'm late to the party. I live in Brooks, and our store doesn't have much. Medicine Hat is good, but I don't go there much. When I make it to Calgary, I like to check out a store or two. But, since I go so infrequently..I feel like a tourist so, I like to plan ahead where I'm going. Trying to find stores online is a HUGE help. It's the 'little extra' that will bring me to a store and possibly make me a loyal customer. Just my 2 cents. Take care, everyone.

Magickiwi
08-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Part of my career was spent working with inventory control systems, POS systems, etc. I wouldn't say it's trivial to set up an inventory system that will automatically update a corporate website with availability etc. But I will say that it is relatively easy now. There are companies in Calgary that specifically do this for business clients.

The ISSUE is that many companies, particularly small ones, don't like changing the way they are doing things or investing in live ICS/POS systems because they perceive the benefits as being outweighed by the cost/effort.

For a place like Gold's? Who knows if they pull in the cake to purchase and maintain these systems. Once they are set up they can be relatively simple to use.

The customer community is changing for all retail areas from shopping in big malls, box stores etc. to online shopping. The free shipping most customers get when online shopping in the US has really given it a shot in the arm.

Seriak
08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes but there are other advantages to a cash drawer system with no accurate inventory control methods for a store that has a lot of die off on a regular basis.

moonyrat
08-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Is Gold open on labour day Monday ?

Magickiwi
08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Is Gold open on labour day Monday ?

I was just there and didn't think to check. They are a little thin on reef and marine fish at the moment.