PDA

View Full Version : To catch a tominini tang??

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Without ripping apart the tank.....any suggestions? Ive had a net in the tank for a while, but he's so skittish, won't go near it. So I doubt a hook will work for the same reason. He's a great fish, just can't keep a goby with him.

i have crabs
05-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Ive had luck catching fish in the middle of the night either in the dark while there sleeping or by flicking on the lights and catching them while they are stunned, there is also the home made trap using a 2l bottle that ive has luck with

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Night catching- good idea, but he sleeps in the very back of the tank under rocks. And if I go after one side of the tank, he swims behind the rocks to the other side.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Night catching- good idea, but he sleeps in the very back of the tank under rocks. And if I go after one side of the tank, he swims behind the rocks to the other side.

A sudden flash of light works. Its enough to confuse the fish.

reefwars
05-28-2013, 12:20 AM
drain the tank easy peasy;)

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
drain the tank easy peasy;)

Now that's a great idea...except I just filled my water containers back up overnight and don't have anything to hold 100+ gallons of water...

Will see what I can round up.....how low does the tank need to get?

reefwars
05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Now that's a great idea...except I just filled my water containers back up overnight and don't have anything to hold 100+ gallons of water...

Will see what I can round up.....how low does the tank need to get?

depends , you may get away with half you may need to go as low as a few inches depending on the fishes behavior, with tangs you can generall get away with a bit less then say gobies or wrasses.

i have 2 x 30g rubbermaids at the store you can borrow as well as some buckets if need be , hell maybe even a tank lol

shut off your skimmer and syphon as much to your sump as you can , same with your ato empty it and use it to hold SW from your display while you catch the tang, its a bit of work but guaranteed youll catch him.

another thing that has worked well for me in the past is to block off escape routes by stuffing garbage bags and eggcrate in every nook and cranny;)

gl

:)

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 12:30 AM
depends , you may get away with half you may need to go as low as a few inches depending on the fishes behavior, with tangs you can generall get away with a bit less then say gobies or wrasses.

i have 2 x 30g rubbermaids at the store you can borrow as well as some buckets if need be , hell maybe even a tank lol

shut off your skimmer and syphon as much to your sump as you can , same with your ato empty it and use it to hold SW from your display while you catch the tang, its a bit of work but guaranteed youll catch him.

another thing that has worked well for me in the past is to block off escape routes by stuffing garbage bags and eggcrate in every nook and cranny;)

gl

:)

Thanks Denny. Off to search for bins. The fellow taking him is coming by tonight to try to catch him, so I'll start draining!

Zoaelite
05-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Have you tried a fish trap? You might have to wait a while but it sure beats the full tank dismantle.

If I can catch a Golden Dwarf Angel in one I'm pretty sure a sketchy tang should be pudding.

I have one your welcome to use, either you can pick it up or I work right next to Concept.

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Have you tried a fish trap? You might have to wait a while but it sure beats the full tank dismantle.

If I can catch a Golden Dwarf Angel in one I'm pretty sure a sketchy tang should be pudding.

I have one your welcome to use, either you can pick it up or I work right next to Concept.

Thanks! If this doesn't work tonight, I'll take you up on the offer. So far I've got a Rubbermaid, salt bucket and 2 5 gl jugs filled. Looking for another Rubbermaid, that should take me to almost half full.....

reefwars
05-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Time to fill the bath tub!!!!:mrgreen:

fishytime
05-28-2013, 01:12 AM
could have also tried the "hole stuffing" method.....when the tang is out and about you can slowly start stuffing the larger holes in the rock work with crumpled up plastic bags thereby eliminating some of his escape routes.

Cal_stir
05-28-2013, 01:35 AM
I have a red net, the fish can't see it, it works great

lastlight
05-28-2013, 01:51 AM
The crumpled bag trick has worked very well for me in the past.

Coralgurl
05-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Well I'll be rescaling my tank soon....drained it to half, then had to pull rocks, but my daughter managed to catch him. Refilling tank, fish are out and about so all is good.

Prior to ripping everything apart, caught my bubble corral attacking an aptasia. Got pics, will post!