PDA

View Full Version : Apartment + Big Tank = ?

mr_alberta
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey fellow apartment dwellers! Just wondering how big your tank(s) are and if you've had any problems with the floor bowing or anything like that. Also, do you generally purchase some sort of insurance in case of flooding or leaking from your tank?

Thanks.

kuatto
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I would think your building has concrete floors(most newer buildings use concrete between floors)Seemed like a newer building.

mr_alberta
06-10-2004, 09:31 PM
You'd think that eh Jim? But sadly, it is wood.

Beverly
06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Jim,

Only high rises have concrete floors. Our new 5 storey condo has wood joists with only a thin layer of concrete to accommodate the in-floor heating system.

bulletsworld
06-12-2004, 08:18 AM
You know, I wonder the same thing.

I have a 77 gal & live on the 4th floor of a 4 story walk up and I wonder what my max limit is? I want a big tank (150gal) But I scratch my head.

Q: Will my floor be able to handle the weight?
Q: How is one to really know?

My insurance when I asked laughed and said no my insurance wouldn't cover a accidental flood. I asked them, "Is there any insurance policy that would cover that?" My broker laughed and told me, "No" . :eek:

Aquattro
06-12-2004, 12:15 PM
My broker laughed and told me, "No" . :eek:

You need a new broker. :eek:

StirCrazy
06-12-2004, 03:04 PM

yup I second that my policy covers any damage due to the break of a water containing vessel which under definition of the policy includes aquariums. the policy will cover any structural damage, flooring damage, ect. even the contents of the aquarium but it will not pay for the aquarium its self to be replaced.

Steve

Jason McK
06-12-2004, 03:11 PM
I live on the second floor of a wood constructed building. My 75G is fine and I have coverage specifically for my Aquarium at no extra cost.

J

bulletsworld
06-14-2004, 05:58 PM
perhaps B.C is different then Alberta.

Anyone in Alberta have this kinda coverage?

And is there anyone that has a 150 gal in an 4th level walk up? What is the max? How do you really know?

Quinn
06-14-2004, 06:25 PM

No doubt. Given what insurance is meant to be, you should be able to buy it on any object or occurrence, if you have enough money.

Robw
06-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I asked my insurance company if I am am covered and the broker pointed out that it is standard with their policies. Covers water beds and aquariums. Covers damage caused by a leak etc. but not the vessel itself.

Jason McK
06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Good point Rob. My insureance is the same. Covers damage but not the tank itself.

Jason

Just2Bad
06-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi, I'm living in a 51/2 appartment and I have a 90g with on the other side of the tank wall a 45g sump and a 33g fuge and also my hotwater tank, my floot are all wood. The appartment under mine has the same divisions so my tank his supported by the wall under.... All seems fine for now :confused: :razz:

Ps. I know 90g isn't a big tank but if you include the sump,fuge and hotwater tank it's alot of water in the same place ;)

fortheloveofcrabs
06-14-2004, 11:49 PM
I live at 'The View' in Edmonton (it's 5 floors, and made out of wood) and when my wife and I bought the place, we did a little research into this. It turns out that someone in their last building had a 250 fresh water tank in their place and it was fine. Another person had a full sized grand piano (those are heavy, and only have 4 legs). The ammount of weight doesn't seem to be an issue, but rather where you put it. If it is by a load beagin wall, you could any sized tank and it would be fine. The larger the tank, the larger the foot print, and thus, the lower the PSI!

sacrifice333
06-15-2004, 01:14 AM
My insurance when I asked laughed and said no my insurance wouldn't cover a accidental flood. I asked them, "Is there any insurance policy that would cover that?" My broker laughed and told me, "No" .

My insurance covers a break and, according to my broker, also covers the aquarium, but not the livestock within it.

[Also in BC]

kari
06-15-2004, 01:44 AM
My insurance covered flood damage created by my dog with a garden hose after he opened up the valve.

kris_willard
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
90 gallon tank on a 6th floor apartment. No problems yet. Noticed that the door seems to stick now :question: didnt before i put the tank in. Hope no one sleeps under it :eek: ! I specifically told the land lord that the tank would weigh 300lbs short of a ton and he kinda shrugged his shoulders. I have insurance and it covers everything, including the tank and i think something like 2mill worth of liability...you know should the tank drop through 3 floors before smashing :biggrin: . It only costs me something like $17 a month so its well worth it. I talso covers lots of other stuff like if im transporting something in a vhicle and it fall soff the back of the truck and such. Anyhow 120gals of water in a 4x2 space and no problems except a shifting door ( not sure if its the tank or not).
ps- I think i wqin for being the highest up. :razz:

sacrifice333
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
50 gallon the the 30th floor... not quite as big, but a bit higher... ;)

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Ah, but highrises uses concrete floors, so that's cheating :biggrin:

kris_willard
06-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Damn, i thought i won.

bulletsworld
06-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Yeah highrises uses concrete floors for sure. Yup know mine is only wood sticks. O.k maybe not sticks, then again how would I know. :question:

And adding a 150 gal (sumpless) might be dangerous since it doesn't help that my apartment has shifted and all my doors & windows are a bit crooked. But hey every building shifts and settles..right? :lol: :lol: :eek:

My tank right now (77 gal) not being fully leveled (building settling). I wonder if the water settling (1"off from one side) a bit more on one side of my tank would be enough to bust the glass seals open? Or maybe be worst if 150gal? Should I push the max? Then again what is the max for a 4th level walk up apartment? Are my eyes to big for my apartment? :rolleyes:

Beverly
06-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Leeanne,

Your building should have mostly settled within the first 2-3 years of being built. If your doors and windows went wonky after you set up your 77g, I wouldn't upgrade tanks in that apartment. Can you say "house" :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Leeanne,Can you say "house" :mrgreen:

:multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:

YEAH I NEED HOUSE! Must have MORE! BIGGER! :shocked!: TANKS! :mrgreen:

Now if I can just convince my BF! :lol:

Yeah my building was warped before I moved in. Although I didnt realise how bad until...well I moved in & set up the tanks. Or maybe one side of the tank evaporates water faster then the other side. :lol: :lol: