PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Worm...???

krissyfish20
06-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Hey!
I recently (in the last month or so) discovered a 'worm-like' creature in my tank. He is in my rock towards the back and I'm not too sure what it is? It looks like there are a whole bunch of tentacles coming out of one hole, and they wrap around pieces of rock and the polyps attached to the rock. There are maybe 10-20?? tentacles reaching out from the one place. The tentacles are clearish-white with dark red stripes down them, and are very very skinny. I did some research and came up with possibly a spaghetti worm??, but I'm not really sure and couldn't find a lot of info on these or at least pics of them to compare with my guy. I tried taking a picture of it but none came out clearly enough to see this thing. It doen't seem to be harming my tank at all, but I'd love to know exactly what it is. Any ideas??
Thanks
Krissy :redface:

hockey nut
06-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Howdy. A small octopuss maybe.(JK) How big is it? Too bad you can't get a pic of it. I've seen small worms with one or two very thin like arms but not ten or twenty. The ones I have are harmless. Now I'm currious too. Hope you geta pic. Sorry I can't help you :confused:

psuedo
06-11-2004, 06:25 AM
they are spaghetti worms. Totally harmless in the tank. I must have 100's, possibly even 1000's :smile:
All part of a good living tank

krissyfish20
06-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Yeah spaghetti worm was what I concluded, but all the pictures showed them with pure white arms that were quite thick compared to mine (closer to spaghetti thickness, hence the name). I'm sure there's lots of variation within the species anyways. I did read that they are no harm to tanks, but I'd still love to know more about these creatures. I guess if it's no harm I won't try to get rid of it, but it's kind of creepy looking. Everytime I see it I kind of go "ewww, gross". ;)
Thanks

Quinn
06-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Creepy lookin'? Girl, you don't know creepy lookin'! Why, back in them old days, we used ta' have bristle worms so big, they eat yar' arm if ya let 'em! But seriously, wait until you see a 1' long bristleworm, thick as your finger. Now that's creepy.

krissyfish20
06-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Haha I can't even imagine! My little mantis shrimp friend here is kinda creepy looking too, but alas I'm now starting to think he's rather cute. Creepy to cute...?? I dunno. ;) But seriously, it's just wierd to see a whole bunch of little random tentacles sticking out of a hole reaching at everything. It took me by suprise the first time I noticed it. I've heard that spaghetti worms are good for a tank, but can anyone tell me why exactly?? :)

Quinn
06-11-2004, 07:14 AM
I suppose due to their provision of supplementary filtration, in other words, I think they eat poop.

krissyfish20
06-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Nice! ;) I supposed then this little guy can stay living in my tank! Not that I was gonna get rid of him anyway, but it's nice to have a little helper in the tank.

DOO-E
06-11-2004, 01:11 PM
teevee nice way of puting it lol :mrgreen: thats great.