PDA

View Full Version : The upcoming election...

Quinn
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
I don't think we've had a thread on the election yet so let's get things rolling a bit. Here's an article from the CBC as of today. Interesting stuff, in my mind.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/10/canada/donations040510

More reason to want change in this country.

Beverly
06-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Not that I'm Liberal, by any means, but there's no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I'd vote Conservative :evil: I hear the Rhino Party is fielding a candidate in the Yukon, though :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
a

AJ_77
06-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Not that I'm Liberal, by any means, but there's no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I'd vote Conservative
Seeing as ours is pretty much a 2-party system, if you're "H-E-double-hockey-sticks"-bent against the Conservatives, odds are you are a Liberal... or somewhere similar, or further Left...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:rolleyes: - :biggrin:

Quinn
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I agree with some of what you say Trilinearmipmap, except the stuff about race/culture handouts, because I believe they are justified, and being tougher on criminals. But we can debate those things some other time.

I'm voting Conservative because I'm can't stand the corruption in the Liberal party, and I think Harper has some sense of ethics about him. However, I can't stand the social backwardness they brought with them from the Alliance. Hopefully if they get in, they won't be stupid enough to try to undo the progress we've achieved in those areas in the last few decades. Bev, I do like Layton and I think he's really bringing new energy to his party, but like Alan said, this is a two-party country now, and I think right now everyone's goal should be to get rid of the Liberals, as undemocratic as that is. I feel that democracy only works if you have a large number of parties, like they do in Europe, or none at all, and of course that wouldn't work in a country with 30 million citizens.

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Our military is a joke. We rely on our neighbours to the south to provide all our security needs. We couldn't win a war against Bangladesh.

I think thou should learn what he is talking about be for he opens his mouth.

Steve

LostMind
06-11-2004, 12:54 AM
I think Canada is screwed this election.

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 01:19 AM
but like Alan said, this is a two-party country now, and I think right now everyone's goal should be to get rid of the Liberals, as undemocratic as that is.

I think a lot of people forget what the PC's did to Canada's military to start with, for some reason the liberals get blamed for it. it was the PC's that cut us from 120K to 86K strength, all the liberals did was further reduce that to 64K, and now seeing the folly of there ways are actually doing a lot to increase the numbers again. I was always a PC supporter until i started really looking at politics in the last few years, I did like the Alliance but they had a few issues :mrgreen: and people couldn't separate personal from work.. as much as I hate to say I think i will be voting liberals this year, for the only reason is the liberals seam to have changed there direction with the loss of whats his name and the gain of martin. also theres the fact that I would rather work for the evil I know than the evil that is hidden :mrgreen: as far as the others, I still think the alliance has some fundamentally good ideas, but not the strength to push them. NDP well thats enough about those losers. green party and most of the others, would dis ban the military and with draw from all out obligations with the UN and as a G7 country lower tax ect.. while I would love to see lower taxes I realize it isn't a reality until we get rid of the national debit, until then there is to much we need to put more money into, health care, social programs, military ect.

with health care I think more is needed than money though, I think it needs to be restructured, and abuse of the system stopped. hospitals need to be given a basic budget and then given a certain amount per procedure preformed this will allow more money to the hospitals that are doing more work, but the biggest problem is getting people to stop going to emergency for stupid things, like colds, flu, headache ect.. I took my kid to the hospital when she got stung by a bee and started to swell up, or when my other kid got a cut that required stitches right away.. or when I was having chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. every time I was there, about 70% of the people were there for things that could have waited until the next day for them to go to a clinic.. what is the effect of this, well a clinic visit is billed say 80.00 a ER visit is billed 1600.00 just for them to look at you. then more if they do something.

as for the debit, the liberals actually have a good track record with paying it down so hopefully if they keep it at this rate we will see a increase to services as well as a decrease in taxes.

trilinearmipmap, yes we are a smaller military, but if you look at Canada's main role, it is to be peace keepers. and through out the world the Canadian military is highly regarded in that manor. also for our Navy we have one of the most all around advanced platforms right now, and in 6 years we are getting the new joint task ships which will be leaders in there kind. a little further down the road they are looking at a multi configurable hull which once again will launch us as a leader in naval ships. as for the army, they have to most versatile personal carrier in the world, the Americans even requested we bring them to Afghanistan as they can do things theres can't.

you may also be surprised to learn that we train the US and other military in special ops IE. the boarding of other ships, sniper training and on and on. (if you ever saw how the American used to board ships and act while they were doing it you would understand why they come up here for training and instruction now :mrgreen:

Steve

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 01:24 AM
I don't think we've had a thread on the election yet so let's get things rolling a bit. Here's an article from the CBC as of today. Interesting stuff, in my mind.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/10/canada/donations040510

More reason to want change in this country.

you are looking at 13K of donations from a couple nations.. small fry donations which as it states most of which was to buy tickets to fundraisers. nothing illegal or immoral, the liberals actually have done a lot for the first nations in the last few years so it makes sense they would want to support them.

Steve

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 01:27 AM
what I am waiting for is to see if we will be hit with terrorist attacks like the other country's that have had elections lately.. we are 4th on the top 5 list of Alquada (sp*) targets so it is surprising we haven't been hit yet in order to sway the elections like in Spain.

Steve

Quinn
06-11-2004, 02:46 AM
you are looking at 13K of donations from a couple nations.. small fry donations which as it states most of which was to buy tickets to fundraisers. nothing illegal or immoral, the liberals actually have done a lot for the first nations in the last few years so it makes sense they would want to support them.

Steve

Very small fry, yes. But to me, it's unethical to accept donations that started out as tax money. Oh wait, that's what the whole sponsorship scandal was about! I had forgotten. :rolleyes:

I did like the Alliance but they had a few issues

A few issues, like Stockwell Day and his zealot supporters? :lol:

Cap'n
06-11-2004, 02:56 AM
but like Alan said, this is a two-party country now, and I think right now everyone's goal should be to get rid of the Liberals, as undemocratic as that is. I feel that democracy only works if you have a large number of parties, like they do in Europe.

The best way to encourage more parties to choose from is to support the smaller ones. I'm voting Green, if only to be one of the people who tells the larger parties what issues are most important to me. By picking the lesser of two evils you aren't supporting anything and are providing the political community with an inaccurate view of the population.

Cpt Granola

Quinn
06-11-2004, 03:39 AM
That's true, but I still hate the Liberals, and I feel that voting Conservative is the best way to cause a major shuffle in Ottawa.

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 05:41 AM
That's true, but I still hate the Liberals, and I feel that voting Conservative is the best way to cause a major shuffle in Ottawa.

if there was another party aside from the PC's you were sugesting that had a good record I would agree, but the last time the PC's were in office for two years they did more dammage to our country than the liberals have done sence Trudeou *sp*

Green has a couple good points but way way to many bad points.. there stand on industry and such would leave us with a beautiful but pour country.

yes Stockwell Day, although he was a christian fanatic his political ideas and comitments were the best the country has ever seen, to bad he had to let his religion show a little to much :rolleyes: he was campaining on everything you see people wanting, tougher penilties for criminals, more funding for social programs, reduced operating budget, continue to lower the deficet, increased millitary spending, ect.. like I said to bad he couldent keep his yap shut :mrgreen:

I am still watching the aliance but I think they will take another election or two to build up steam like they were.

Steve

Quinn
06-11-2004, 05:58 AM
Yeah I guess I'm a little too young to remember the last time the Tories were in power... I guess I'd just like to see things shuffled a bit. The Liberals are turning into Klein, thinking it's their given right to rule the nation.

Err, regarding the Alliance... it doesn't exist... the PCs and Alliance merged to form the CPC... and it's built up a lot of steam, with the last poll the National Post reported showing 32% support for Martin and 31% for Harper, who is steadily climbing.

LostMind
06-11-2004, 06:39 AM
Harper or Martin - is it really going to make a difference?

If I had to bet, I'd put money on Harper. I am worried about economics tho, and Martin has a better financial background then Harper.

Or so I think..

titus
06-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Hello Steve,

You forgot our Army also has the most advanced digital tactical radio comm equipment, and the best in the latest personal clothing and camo pattern. Both US and Brits were field testing our kit.

And oh yeah, the best food in the world. :mrgreen:

Titus

Cap'n
06-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Green has a couple good points but way way to many bad points.. there stand on industry and such would leave us with a beautiful but pour country.

Agreed. I also realize they will never become a majority party with their incomplete plan. I just want to nudge the other parties in the right direction. NDP looks like they have taken notice.

StirCrazy
06-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Hello Steve,

You forgot our Army also has the most advanced digital tactical radio comm equipment, and the best in the latest personal clothing and camo pattern. Both US and Brits were field testing our kit.

And oh yeah, the best food in the world. :mrgreen:

Titus

digital tactical radio ??? what are thoes.. do they run on diesel? :mrgreen:

Steve