PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

Drooler
05-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi everyone! I'm totally new here. I'm planning on converting my cichlid tank to a fowlr. I've done a bit of basic research and one of my questions is the best way of getting the water temp to match your tank during a water change? I hear it's much more important than in a fresh water tank. I appreciate any advice and am looking forward to be part of the saltwater community!

neoh
05-26-2013, 05:03 AM
It doesn't have to be spot on. I can't say it's the same for everyone, however with me - I have a controller that turns my heater on when it dips below a specific temperature, and it goes back up to 76F - You can get a heater and put it in the bucket and set it to 76F and let it sit until it turns off, then check the temperature with a thermometer. The water for water changes should be left overnight anyways. That way it allows you to get to the temperature before adding it to the tank.

On a side note, welcome to the dark side!

monkE
05-26-2013, 05:07 AM
On a side note, welcome to the dark side!
haha you have been dying to say that haven't you! lol

Neoh said it best, just get a second heater for your water change bucket and set it to the same as the display tank.

JmeJReefer
05-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Temp is critical. Always match WC water to tank water. Some fish and invertebrates and coral r sensitive to it. It can lead to fish sickness and things goin wonky. Best to start good habits now....

fishoholic
05-26-2013, 03:27 PM
The smaller the system the more important temp is. However as long as you're within 2 degrees of what the display temp is then you should be fine. Using a heater in a bucket/mixing tank works well, just make sure to check it as heaters (even on a low setting) can heat up water fairly fast in a bucket.

reef-keeper
05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
I make up water in advance. It's heated and circulated with an pump. Waiting for the next WC.

Coral Hoarder
06-05-2013, 03:35 AM
im my 125 fowlr i take it from tap into tank i just eye ball it but with finger lol

Razor
06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
rk why is your tank at a stand still?

reef-keeper
06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I had to put it on hold due to room issues. Then Reno costs skyrocketed and before you know it it's 6-7 years. Plus I not in a hurry to build my dream tank.

Razor
06-19-2013, 01:07 AM
I had to put it on hold due to room issues. Then Reno costs skyrocketed and before you know it it's 6-7 years. Plus I not in a hurry to build my dream tank.

Ah ok. Like you said it's better to wait and build it how you want.