PDA

View Full Version : Bad practice

06-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Just want to share something that I noticed while I was shopping at King Ed Pet this past weekend. I saw two bright highligther yellow pagoda cups and a yellow umbrella leather coral for sale. They are obviously color dyed. I found out later that they are supplied by MAC certified wholesaler Coast Mountain which advertises on this Canreef Forum. As part of our integrity to preserve the nature as much as possible, I personally think that this colored dyed coral practice should seriously be discouraged. MAC organization should scrutinize its members more carefully. Otherwise, having a MAC certification means nothing if Coast Mountain keeps bringing in color dyed corals.

saltcreep
06-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who has brought this to my attention. Due to our busy schedule today I cannot reply at the moment. I will get to it later in the day. In the meantime, if the original poster would like to either PM, email, or phone me, I will take to time to discuss this concern.

Cheers,

Kyle
CMA

saltcreep
06-11-2004, 03:54 AM

Firstly, before you post items on a public forum such as you did, try to get all the facts before you voice your opinion. Coast Mountain Aquatics (CMA) does not advertise on Canreef, has never advertised on Canreef, and has no intention of doing so in the future.

Our business sells product in two ways, either traditional wholesale (retail companies purchase from in stock inventory) or by way of tranship, which means orders are consolidated and shipped direct to a customer. The item in question was probably sold by way of tranship. Coast Mountain Aquatics tries to be aware of environmental concerns with all of our purchases from overseas suppliers. These concerns play a part in our selection of the suppliers.

There are many items available to the hobbyist that we will not import into our facility for one reason or another. With that said, we do not impose our views on our customers when it comes time to place an order on a tranship. We give them the autonomy to make their own informed decisions when it comes to stock selection. It is our view that after all, the market will drive their purchases (for the most part). If a retail store purchases a product that is deemed to be unfit for the retail trade, I am quite certain that the hobbyist will let them know using the power of the dollar.

In this industry, there is a razor thin line dividing business and ethics. Coast Mountain Aquatics tries to keep the balance.

saltcreep
06-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Like a said, business and ethics in this industry are separated by a very thin line. We try to do the right thing...trust me...I could make a lot of money turning a blind eye.

Orion80
06-11-2004, 01:38 PM
The fish that petcetra gets from coast mountin r usally in very good shape, and It seems to me that coast mountin does a good job in packaging them. Now if u want to talk about people with no ethics it is just that, the employees of petrcetra usally do not seem to have the ethics, I spoke to their regional manager about fish, and she said she would rather turn the customer away so that they could learn about the fish and hobby than sell that person the fish, if they take it home and then it dies in a few days, then petcetra and coast look like the bad guys when in fact it was the ethics of the one employee who did not care.

So far as a company I beleive coast and petcetra r on the right track,their could b a few improvements such as quarintine tiem, but their will always b the one or 2 fish/corals that slip by it just happens, and usally not on purpose, but in the end it is the customers choice or fault for not doing his research before they run out and buy a fish/coral.

Just my 2 cents.
Adie

Orion80
06-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Hate to admit this but if stores only purchased non-cyanide caught fish the prices would go up and selection would go down and then we would all complain about something else, I do not condowne cyanide fishing, or striping are reefs bare as we would have nothing then.

But the facts r the facts.

With the amount we reefers complain u might think we r farmers, and lastly the best thing u can do is research the company and the fish u want to buy, then make your choice with the money u spend, that way the companies will do as u want them to, but if a company has bad practices and u continue to purchase from them they would never stop.
Does not matter what type of business u r in, look at NIKE uses child labor and they r richer and all of us put together.

Adie

Aquattro
06-11-2004, 03:20 PM
This thread posed a concern about a vendor. The vendor responded, in my opinion, very professionally. Nothing more constructive will come from this thread. If anyone thinks they know some dark secret of the industry and care to argue about it, open a different thread. This one's over.