PDA

View Full Version : LF Herbie Plumbing Help

input80
05-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi, I am not sure if this would be the right place to post this request ? I would like some help this weekend to convert my corner overflow (2 holes drilled: durso & return) into a herbie. I need the physical help from someone that has knowledge & experience in this area, as my skills are extremely limited. After reading extensively on this matter, it seems that a ball valve can be used (with some fine tuning difficulty) as opposed to "must use a gate valve" ? I would also prefer to use clear vinyl hose wherever possible, I like the see through look.
Please pm me with your time availability & what you would charge.

Reef Supplies
05-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi,

Have a look at this link, it explains it in detail http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Ray

input80
05-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi,

Have a look at this link, it explains it in detail http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Ray

Thanks for the link Ray, unfortunately, this is a project I am completely & utterly uncomfortable with, on my own.

Reef Supplies
05-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Big reefing community in BC, I'm sure you'll find someone to help you.

Good luck

input80
05-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Hi, I am not sure if this would be the right place to post this request ? I would like some help this weekend to convert my corner overflow (2 holes drilled: durso & return) into a herbie. I need the physical help from someone that has knowledge & experience in this area, as my skills are extremely limited. After reading extensively on this matter, it seems that a ball valve can be used (with some fine tuning difficulty) as opposed to "must use a gate valve" ? I would also prefer to use clear vinyl hose wherever possible, I like the see through look.
Please pm me with your time availability & what you would charge.

B-4 I start, is there anything wrong with braided (vinyl) hose ?

duncangweller
05-26-2013, 02:32 AM
The only problem I have found with using clear hose is that it gets filled with algae from outside/refugium lighting.

It is difficult to clean and then dere unsightly. It won't stay clear for long.

I live in Langley and could probably give you a hand. I don't have much in the way of spare time though.

Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

monkE
05-26-2013, 03:06 AM
+1 on the clear hose, will not stay that way for long. other than that no issues as far as durability/leaks as long as you install it properly

monkE
05-26-2013, 03:07 AM
i have soft hose from my return pump to the gate valve, but it's not clear. I used 3/4 bilge hose for a boat's bilge pump. Works quite well.

input80
05-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice, the dirtied clear tubing may get the better of me eventually & I may just end up changing it all for black vinyl hose. I have found that the braided hose has little play/flexibility, so maybe sooner than later, lol. It is all done I might need to rework my return line, over the tank ? :(
Maybe I'll dig in again on Sunday, as long as it doesn't run into my dinner plans, lol.

input80
05-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice, the dirtied clear tubing may get the better of me eventually & I may just end up changing it all for black vinyl hose. I have found that the braided hose has little play/flexibility, so maybe sooner than later, lol. It is all done I might need to rework my return line, over the tank ? :(
Maybe I'll dig in again on Sunday, as long as it doesn't run into my dinner plans, lol.

Update: Its all done, just have a couple of things to do to neaten it up. Unfortunately, it looks like the guy that put my tank together, glued the original return pipe (which is now being used for the emergency drain) to the bulkhead. So I can't get it out to cut it, without having to replace the bulkhead assembly. The emergency is now sitting in the tank, just out of the overflow. Another project for next weekend, unless someone with plumbing experience cares to offer free assistance http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png lol