PDA

View Full Version : moving tanks

ganowicki
06-10-2004, 03:22 PM
I got my posting for the RCMP and I have to move from Nanaimo to Dawson Creek. Dawson Creek is 16hours north of Vancouver. It is going to take me 2 days to get there. I was planning on putting live rock, softies and lps, False perc, long nose hawk and firefish in a 30 gallon rubbermaid container. I have a converter that I can plug in a heater and powerhead. My question is will my livestock survive 2 days in a 30 gallon rubbermaid with only a heater and a powerhead?

Thanks

Gord

DOO-E
06-10-2004, 03:23 PM
yes they should because if you think about it all it is is an empty aquarium that you can see into right. the hardest part will be the actual move but after that it should be okay.

Scavenger
06-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Dawson Creek eh Gord?? Well its very beautiful country up there. I think if you can keep up flow and heat, your livestock will be ok. In nature there are stormy days where not much light reaches the livestock so it will be like a stormy day or 2 for them, complete with the turbulence and waves of the wind (car motion) One thing to watch for is spillage, I used a rubbermaid to move some water and had some serious sloshing. If you can put in a few baffles into the tote, this would reduce some of the sloshing about. Your list seemed a bit short to me, did you get rid of some stuff?? Let me know if you need a hand breaking down and packing up the tanks. I'd be happy to help.

Ken

Aquattro
06-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Gord, I drove around all last weekend with a similar setup. I use a cooler though, as that has better insulating properties.

ganowicki
06-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the Idea Brad. I think I may use a cooler. Would you close the lid for travel, then open it when you park?

Scavenger, I still have the 125 gal, but I do not have much stuff in there. I will have to get rid of a couple fish (foxface and Maroon clown) and some coral (hammer, zenia, colts, and button polyps) because I am not going to set up the 125 until I buy a house and get settled. I am not sure what I should do with all the sand and rock. I would like to keep it, and throw it back into the 125 when I get set up. All the life in the sand and rock will unfortunately die, but I can restock it from my 33gal. I wonder what I should do so that the sand and rock does not ruin? As for the help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Gord

Aquattro
06-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Gord, I kept the lid closed until I stopped for the night. I then took the cooler in the house I stayed at and plugged it into the wall. The lid was only partially open. You could take it into the hotel and leave the lid up overnight.

Scavenger
06-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Gord,

you got pm