PDA

View Full Version : ballasts

hockey nut
06-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Just wondering if someone could tell me the difference between an SE and a DE ballast. Witch one would be better. Need to buy a MH set-up and not sure witch way to go. 400 or 250 etc. thanks for your help.

Aquattro
06-10-2004, 08:09 AM
The only difference between SE and DE is the bulbs. DE plug into sockets on both ends, SE only on a single end. DE bulbs come in sizes up to 25w, the most common being either 150 or 250w. Never heard of a 400w DE. SE come from 70w up to 1000w. All bulbs will run off of several ballasts. Some bulbs run better off one style over another. Best to pick a bulb and then figure out which ballast runs is optimally.

StirCrazy
06-10-2004, 12:46 PM
DE bulbs come in sizes up to 25w, .

I think he meant 250 watts, must be the drugs :mrgreen:

anyways the biggest difference between the two is that a DE is a HQI bulb so you need a HQI ballast. the DE bulb needs more initial voltage to create the arc. a SE bulb can be both regular and HQI and seam to work off regular ballast. but it you have a HQI SE it will run much better off a HQI ballast.

Steve

hockey nut
06-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess it is more of a preference at this piont, still not sure wich would be the easiest or least problem to maintain. I will probly do a DIY setup and go with an e-ballast and either 1 or 2 250s or 400s. Then icecap VHOs for atinics. Would like to try a clam one day. Could someone make up my mind for me pls.... lol. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance. ........

Bets Regards Callum

StirCrazy
06-11-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess it is more of a preference at this piont, still not sure wich would be the easiest or least problem to maintain. I will probly do a DIY setup and go with an e-ballast and either 1 or 2 250s or 400s. Then icecap VHOs for atinics. Would like to try a clam one day. Could someone make up my mind for me pls.... lol. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance. ........

Bets Regards Callum

if you willing to DIY your MH save 200 bucks and DIY your VHO with workhorse ballasts instead of IceCaps.

one thing to watch with MH e-ballasts is almost all of them underdrive the bulb as they were designed for energy savings. with the cost of power in BC there isn't much point spending big bucks on a e-ballast to save a tiny bit on power.. I think I worked it out that it would take over 5 years for the power savings to pay for its self on my set up.

Steve

hockey nut
06-11-2004, 05:49 AM
Hey Steve. I already have the icecap ballast and lights etc. Just need the MHs. What other kind of ballasts would you suggest?