PDA

View Full Version : Adding Tangs

Steve...
05-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a Scopas tang in my 220 gal tank. Any thoughts on the success rate of adding a yellow and purple tang? They all from the same family and have same body shape. I also have salfin and naso tang right now but never had a problem introducing them in terms of aggression problems. All fish are getting along just fine...

apexifd
05-23-2013, 02:28 AM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/apexifd/CFC74CCE-8D1C-4FB3-98A0-453BCD3F35F9-7990-0000023E6C52D4E0_zps55ef8e93.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/apexifd/media/CFC74CCE-8D1C-4FB3-98A0-453BCD3F35F9-7990-0000023E6C52D4E0_zps55ef8e93.jpg.html)
this is what I have in my 2x2 frag tank.

and take a look at my signature for the list of tangs in the DT. There will be aggression toward the new fish, but I find putting up mirrors really helps.

Steve...
05-23-2013, 02:32 AM
When did you add the mirror? Before or after the introduction of the new fish. I heard the purple tangs are really aggressive and should be added last. When did you add your yellow, purple and yellow eye tangs since body shapes are identical.

The Grizz
05-23-2013, 02:33 AM
I have several tangs being Sohal, purple, yellow, Naso, Sailfin, Scopos, Luitenent, orange shoulder & regal. I added each at different times in the life of the tank, added all them after lights where off & new addition was fully acclimated.

Steve...
05-23-2013, 02:37 AM
with all those tang in your tank, I imagine they are good for controlling and preventing any unwanted algae?

The Grizz
05-23-2013, 02:39 AM
with all those tang in your tank, I imagine they are good for controlling and preventing any unwanted algae?

Yes just wish they would chow down on my colonial hydroids :lol::lol:

apexifd
05-23-2013, 02:43 AM
When did you add the mirror? Before or after the introduction of the new fish. I heard the purple tangs are really aggressive and should be added last. When did you add your yellow, purple and yellow eye tangs since body shapes are identical.

Mirror before fish goes in, I just leave the mirror there all the time at the side I don't view much.

purple should go in later than yellow.

naesco
05-23-2013, 03:26 AM
IMO you should add them all together. You can get away with it only because you have a large tank.

You need to do it in the dark an leave the light out for a couple of days and the room darkened.
Avoid approaching the tank during this time or you will stress the new fish

Feed lots and in different parts of the tank

The idea is to get the fish used to each other.

Remember to feed garlic and selcon soaked food to build up the new fish and avoid ich

Remember the kole needs film algae so keep a side of your tank 'dirty"
Good luck

apexifd
05-23-2013, 03:33 AM
IMO you should add them all together. You can get away with it only because you have a large tank.

You need to do it in the dark an leave the light out for a couple of days and the room darkened.
Avoid approaching the tank during this time or you will stress the new fish

Feed lots and in different parts of the tank

The idea is to get the fish used to each other.

Remember to feed garlic and selcon soaked food to build up the new fish and avoid ich

Remember the kole needs film algae so keep a side of your tank 'dirty"
Good luck

+1

Steve...
05-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks! Now Ill have to find someone that has all the fish I need :b

naesco
05-23-2013, 04:20 AM

Steve what you do is go through wetwebmedia.com. which has a good overview of all tangs good bad and some too big.
Than go to your favourite Lfs and have them order them in for you in the size you want.

michika
05-23-2013, 02:33 PM

There are 7 zebrasoma species;
Gem
Black or Longnose
Purple
Scopas
Red Sea Sailfin
Sailfin
Yellow

I'm doing exactly what you've described right now in my tank. Where did you find your scopas? It's the only fish I can't find on my list. As for the others I find yellows are the easiest to find in the city, the rest are special order or you have to wait.

globaldesigns
05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I have several tangs being Sohal, purple, yellow, Naso, Sailfin, Scopos, Luitenent, orange shoulder & regal. I added each at different times in the life of the tank, added all them after lights where off & new addition was fully acclimated.

Hey, how is my ole sohal... I miss that guy!

Steve...
05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
I got the scopas from a local reefer. How did you introduce all your tangs in your tank? Any tips?

There are 7 zebrasoma species;
Gem
Black or Longnose
Purple
Scopas
Red Sea Sailfin
Sailfin
Yellow

I'm doing exactly what you've described right now in my tank. Where did you find your scopas? It's the only fish I can't find on my list. As for the others I find yellows are the easiest to find in the city, the rest are special order or you have to wait.

fishytime
05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Where did you find your scopas? It's the only fish I can't find on my list.

sorry for the thread-jack.... RCE has a scopas that has been there since I've been working there(9 months).