PDA

View Full Version : need return pump recommendations. asap!

smokinreefer
05-22-2013, 02:20 AM
my dinosaur of a MAG12 is about to bite the dust.

so i need a new return pump, but i havent been keeping upto date with hardware options.

what are you all using now?

i do want the option of being able to use a pump inline or in sump.
and the quieter the better!

let me know what you all think, i need a new pump asap!

how are those speedwave variable speed pumps?

thanks everyone!

neoh
05-22-2013, 02:22 AM
I recently got a brand new rio +, and boy does it make a lot of noise, and gets a little warm. I'd probably stay away from one if I had the choice again -_-

Proteus
05-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Really like my speedwave

Alberta-newb
05-22-2013, 03:18 AM
I just bought a SpeedWave as well and love it. Dead silent and gentle starts. The 10 minute feed mode is nice too. No idea on the longevity as these are fairly new on the market. I've had a couple of Rios and hated them, noisy and did not last long. Had a Quiet One originally, pretty good pump and lasted about 4 years with minimum maintenance.

For external pumps I ran a Reeflo Dart for 5 years without issue. A little noiser than the SpeedWave that replaced it.

smokinreefer
05-22-2013, 03:37 AM
I recently got a brand new rio +, and boy does it make a lot of noise, and gets a little warm. I'd probably stay away from one if I had the choice again -_-

thanks, good to know.

Really like my speedwave

I just bought a SpeedWave as well and love it. Dead silent and gentle starts. The 10 minute feed mode is nice too. No idea on the longevity as these are fairly new on the market. I've had a couple of Rios and hated them, noisy and did not last long. Had a Quiet One originally, pretty good pump and lasted about 4 years with minimum maintenance.

For external pumps I ran a Reeflo Dart for 5 years without issue. A little noiser than the SpeedWave that replaced it.

so, you can adjust the output of the speedwave? the mid model is backordered from my LFS, but the big model is available as per their website. if its adjustable i'd consider that, suppose its future proofing for a larger system. :P

slakker
05-22-2013, 03:45 AM
I'm a fan of the Eheim's quiet and built like a tank!

Alberta-newb
05-22-2013, 04:03 AM
thanks, good to know.
so, you can adjust the output of the speedwave? the mid model is backordered from my LFS, but the big model is available as per their website. if its adjustable i'd consider that, suppose its future proofing for a larger system. :P

Yes, they have six speeds, I have the 2640 gal model running the closed loop on my 75 gal cube and I run it at "5"

mrhasan
05-22-2013, 04:22 AM

Heard that rios are notoriously famous for burning up :surprise:

neoh
05-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Heard that rios are notoriously famous for burning up :surprise:

Time to swap to a speedwave! I'm really picky about ambient noises, and that rio makes my living room sound like I'm in a freight train.

Well... maybe not that bad. But when you're as neurotic as I am when it comes to noises, it's the same difference! Haha.

The Grizz
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Speedwaves all the way, going to be running 4 - dc10000 & 2 - dc5000 on my new system............if I ever get it done that is. :lol:

smokinreefer
05-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Speedwaves all the way, going to be running 4 - dc10000 & 2 - dc5000 on my new system............if I ever get it done that is. :lol:

You seem pretty set on speedwaves. Can you tell me why you chose them?

smokinreefer
05-22-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm a fan of the Eheim's quiet and built like a tank!

I was looking at them too, as I have read some people's comments on them. A bit out of budget for me though, for the model of comparable performance to the mag12.

Mike-fish
05-22-2013, 07:15 AM
I have 3 Sedra pumps on my 270 and love them cheap quiet and very reliable what more could you ask for

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Mag12s put out a lot of heat. Great in the winter but terrible in the summer.

Have had good luck with Sedra9000s (90w/hr) & Rio2500+ (a little less flow but only 55w).

Stopped using Mag pumps years ago because of the heat issue.

monkE
05-22-2013, 01:44 PM
my eheim compact+ has worked great for me so far, don't hear it at all and i'm not worried about it burning out!

riceboy
05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
ehiem 1262 no noise and reliable

Reefer head
05-22-2013, 03:14 PM
What about external pumps ?

The Grizz
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
You seem pretty set on speedwaves. Can you tell me why you chose them?

Speedwave are amazingly quite and I love the variable speed control. I have one running externally and have never had any issue with it leaking at all. they are very reasonably priced as well compared to other pumps of the same size and do not produce as much heat or consume as much power either.

Son Of Skyline
05-22-2013, 06:44 PM
My vote is to get another mag12, throw it in, and you don't have to think about it for another 8 years.

smokinreefer
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
My vote is to get another mag12, throw it in, and you don't have to think about it for another 8 years.

Hey aren't you supposed to be working? Lol

Funny, I have had that pump about 8+ years! Probably woulda lasted longer if I cleaned it once In a while!

As reliable as it has been, I would like something that doesn't create so much heat, and uses less electricity. This is for the tank at my parents house :p

mrhasan
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Hey aren't you supposed to be working? Lol

Funny, I have had that pump about 8+ years! Probably woulda lasted longer if I cleaned it once In a while!

As reliable as it has been, I would like something that doesn't create so much heat, and uses less electricity. This is for the tank at my parents house :p

My vote is for speedwave too. Although this is my first return pump, I am happy with it since its DC, has variable speed and the 690gph model consumes only about 25w which is like less than half to comparable AC motors. Win :D

frizzo1983
05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I have run 2 speedwave pumps for almost 2 months and am very happy with the outcome. Good adjustable flow for my return lines, dead quiet, great price, buy the large one and then if you want to upgrade turn it up. Just my opinion not sure the lifespan at this point but they appear to be well built.

Midway
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
SpeedWave here but not happy with that pump. It has failed twice on me already. First time, power supply got toasted, second time, the F..ing pump would not start whatsoever, I guess the motor or something inside got toasted or something. I have a Mag Drive 1200 on my reef and that pump is solid.