PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae Eaters

Zero
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Just for arguments sake what is everyones favorite hair algae eaters available localy..

i was told snails and hermits by my LFS

but i have read that rabbit fish, foxfaces, and Blennies are more ideal..

Does anyone have experiences they can share to provide some clarity here?

frizzo1983
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Sea Hare will do the trick!!!

Zero
05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Been looking for one for 2 weeks everywhere ive been to is out.. and speaking of! with the sea hare, are they very sensitive? I have a cinni- clown and a domino damsel and i wouldnt want that hare oozing in my tank because of nozy fish..

naesco
05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Been looking for one for 2 weeks everywhere ive been to is out.. and speaking of! with the sea hare, are they very sensitive? I have a cinni- clown and a domino damsel and i wouldnt want that hare oozing in my tank because of nozy fish..

Sea hare
Just ask the LFS to order one for you

They are sensitive so you have to acclimate them very slowly.

Most important point: They eat all the algae very quickly so remember to post that it is available to another reefer so that she can help him too, otherwise the sea hare will starve to death.,

Hermits are predators. They eat the good stuff your corals eats. One or two though is not a problem

Marlin65
05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Had good results with sea urchins.

lastlight
05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
my yellow tang ate almost all of mine.

Corbin
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
sea urchins.

magikof7
05-22-2013, 12:17 AM
I am loosing the battle against hair algea in my 29 bio. Have some Biropsis too. Lettuce nudibranch is not doing much and 3 emerald crabs from sm to lg are not doing a thing. Im Plucking as much as I can.

I'll be following along to see what everyone is doing to fight the good fight. :)

kole
05-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Sea hare is working its way through my hair algae outbreak.

fishytime
05-22-2013, 01:09 AM
I would say the sea hare is your best "sure fire" hair algae eater followed closely by mexican turbo snails...... all other hair algae eaters are hit and miss, some do and some dont....

BuschWacker
05-22-2013, 01:47 AM
I had a lettuce nudi Plow right through mine in a little over a week. Then it vanished Without a trace. I'd like to get another one cuz it's starting to come back again.

Skimmerking
05-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Sea hare
Just ask the LFS to order one for you

They are sensitive so you have to acclimate them very slowly.

Most important point: They eat all the algae very quickly

Wayne I have to call your bluff I have 2 seahares in my RSM 250 and they are both retarded lol they have not touch a single bit of GHA its really ****ing me off and I'm also running GFO aggressively and shortened my light cycle from 11 to 6 hrs my next attack is a yellow tang which is the boss of algae eating. I have a tommi tang in there and he is doing nothing. and im also battling Apatasia too and red turf \

oh ya isn't reefing fun

Proteus
05-22-2013, 03:05 AM
I agree with Doug. Turbos will do the trick. But y fo so many have ha problems

Alberta-newb
05-22-2013, 04:16 AM
Mexican turbos, phosphate removal and patience! Won't happen overnight.

chanda17
05-22-2013, 05:06 AM
My Foxface and Lawnmower goby ate them all, then I reduce my feeding and algae is somewhat under control.

naesco
05-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Wayne I have to call your bluff I have 2 seahares in my RSM 250 and they are both retarded lol they have not touch a single bit of GHA its really ****ing me off and I'm also running GFO aggressively and shortened my light cycle from 11 to 6 hrs my next attack is a yellow tang which is the boss of algae eating. I have a tommi tang in there and he is doing nothing. and im also battling Apatasia too and red turf \

oh ya isn't reefing fun

Can you post a pic of one so I can take a look at it?

Post a request in the livestock section for someone who might have one they can loan or sell you that does the job

They avoid high flow because they are found in nature in lagoon type areas so try cutting back to see if it makes a difference

I would get a small algae covered rock and put it and the sea hare in a floating plastic container. The sea hare should attack it voraciously. Than put it back in the tank in a very low flow area on an algae covered rock.

Let us know .

Tn23
05-22-2013, 08:11 AM
+1 for turbo snails, picked up a couple and they did the trick for me!

Skimmerking
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Can you post a pic of one so I can take a look at it?

Post a request in the livestock section for someone who might have one they can loan or sell you that does the job

They avoid high flow because they are found in nature in lagoon type areas so try cutting back to see if it makes a difference

I would get a small algae covered rock and put it and the sea hare in a floating plastic container. The sea hare should attack it voraciously. Than put it back in the tank in a very low flow area on an algae covered rock.

Let us know . see wayne i didnt know about the high flow i will do that . and i will try the rock thing in a container too

allie_san
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
My clowns love HA, they might be semi retarded though. :D

Skimmerking
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
My clowns love HA, they might be semi retarded though. :D
i think all my fish are retarded my clowns hot a huge squamosa clam and breed in it.