PDA

View Full Version : Input requested. Making a bench seat out of a sump.

SanguinesDream
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
We just installed our new 125 gallon grow tank (I cringe to call it a display tank yet) in our main bow window. As a result, there is no room for a sump directly below the tank as the tank is on a ledge.

So in order for there to be a sump, it would have to sit on the carpet directly in our living room. Not gonna happen. But what if we built a bench seat AROUND the sump so that it wasn't intrusive and could be multi functional?

Any immediate red design flags? Possible issues? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

fishytime
05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
the first thing that comes to my mind is, it would need to be pretty darn tall to accommodate a skimmer( if you planned on running one)....probably too tall to be a comfortable bench height.....what about a decorative plant box or something similar?........something that could be a little taller?.....

SanguinesDream
05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Fortunately the tank is approximately 4 feet off the ground, so the bench would have to be taller so the monkeys could see into the tank. With the 3 children and all of their friends, more seating is a welcome addition.

Proteus
05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
A LFS here did just as u want. The skimmer section would be like raised end table with remove able top.

Pm mr Alberta. He may give u pics

SanguinesDream
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
A LFS here did just as u want. The skimmer section would be like raised end table with remove able top.

Pm mr Alberta. He may give u pics

Will do, thanks! We were thinking of having the bench on a hinge for easy access via the top.

neoh
05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Make sure to include a build thread. :D

SanguinesDream
05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
I think we are going to go with a 55 gallon that is 28 inches high ( my old discus grow tank) and it should accommodate any skimmer easily. Now to decide whether to build or but a skimmer, and if so, what kind.