PDA

View Full Version : Tank Emergency Kit - suggestions please

ScubaGirl
05-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have a tank emergency/survival kit? I seem to be learning things the hard way with my tank (3.5 years) and wondering what sort of things that the more experienced reefers make sure you always have on hand. Besides some of the obvious (water prepped, quarantine tank, generator for power, battery operated air pump, etc.) what other things do you always keep on hand?

Iodine, antibiotics, ich Tx, red slime Tx, etc.

Thank you for your suggestions.

daniella3d
05-19-2013, 07:49 PM
A spare heater and a spare powerhead. That's about it for my emergency preparation.

I have a 20 gallons tank just in case but I never have water ready at all time. I do my water change once a month so only once a month that I have water ready to use.

Do you keep water ready at all time? Wondering how long a batch of water can stay on the side like that?

freezetyle
05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
The above plus:

battery operated air pump/stone. Hydrogen peroxide, enough salt to make a sizeable water change

Borderjumper
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
A few bins you can use in an emergency. They work for temp fish and coral storage just in case your tank leaks or breaks.

monza
05-19-2013, 09:03 PM
A mop.

naesco
05-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I bottle selcon
1 bottle kent garlic extreme
1 pkg neomycin based anti bacterial
1 bottle seachem prime

11purewater
05-19-2013, 11:30 PM
A battery pack with converter(like the ones for jump starting cars)and a whole shwack of carbon:lol:

Proteus
05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Battery back up
Extra heaters
20 gallons of fresh RODI kept in spare tank heated and circulating
Salt

Reefer head
05-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Lots of cash in my wallet !!!!

daniella3d
05-20-2013, 01:06 AM
ah ah, lol!

I hope I will never need that one.

A mop.

I do have 2 large power pack.

michika
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
A few bins you can use in an emergency. They work for temp fish and coral storage just in case your tank leaks or breaks.

This. Or a cheap kiddie pool and a bunch of foam mats (for heat and support) will also work. I pick up a few at the end of ever summer season when they're often on sale. If you don't mind Spongebob and the like, your wallet won't either.

ScubaGirl
05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
A mop.

:shocked!:

No doubt! Hopefully I'll never need that one but I'll knock on wood just in case.

Do they even make mops any more? LOL

SanguinesDream
05-26-2013, 11:24 PM
whole shwack of carbon:lol:

THIS x 1 000 000!

For those slime wars that corals just randomly engage in.

michika
05-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Here is what is my "Just in Case" shelf and I aim for a week's worth of supply. I also am trying to QT fish/inverts and corals separately. I also write when I bought it on the container in sharpie or grease pencil.

- White Vinegar
- Baking soda
- Polyfilter
- Carbon & Bags / reactor
- Phosban
- Cupuramine and SEPARATE QT system (Go to town labelling things too)
- Prazipro (or something for internal parasites)
- Paraguard (for something for external parasites)
- Water conditioner (good for a pinch)
- Interceptor/Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (Interceptor replacement for coral DIP ONLY)
- Coral RX, Revive, etc. (a secondary not Red Bugs targeted dip)
- Airstones, pump and hose - oxygenation has a huge benefit and its cheap to do.
- Kiddy pool, tarp, and foam play mats in case of tank breakage.
- Superglue (cyanoacrylate)
- Clean extra buckets
- Towels - you can never have too many extra
- Rubber gloves
- Empty eye dropper and syringes for dosing
- Extra powerbar