PDA

View Full Version : Help Corals melting!!!

Beano1169
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
hey everyone at the moment I am in crisis mode. My pulsating xenia looks as though it has melted away the base is left but the arms look shrunken and like melted together. My Frogspawn is receeding towards the base almost exposing skeleton, and my rodachtuis mushroom is curved inward and I believe showing ouff its sweepers? little white strings all over (happening to harry and rainbow mushrooms too). My ric looks odd as well. What can I do, did a 20% water change (I use seachem aquavitro salinity salt) last night sg perfect match. Dosed 2-3ml of 3-ion fluval sea (first time I have used, could this be it? it upps mag, cal, stront). Just did about a 10% 5 mins ago

parameters as of now

8.0-8.2 PH (low but normal)
0 ppm NH4
0 ppm No2
0 ppm No3
DKH 10-11
Sg 1.025

havent tested cal fora bit but shouldnt be an issue usually around 420-445. and no tests for PO4, Strontium, or magnesium.

please any comments will help significantly

Craigdillman
05-14-2013, 10:44 PM
how does it look now? i would do a water change if you think that threw it out.. also if you have a QT tank now is the time to fire it up

asylumdown
05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Is this some thing that's happened all of a sudden or has it been a slow progression?

How old is the tank, how large, what equipment, what are your general maintenance practices, what do you dose, what media are you using if any, how many fish/what kind?

Do you live in a place with air conditioning? It was smoking hot here in Calgary for the past several days, did your tank get too hot?

It's hard to diagnose a problem based on those symptoms alone more information will help get a better picture of what's going wrong.

Kit with Cat
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Did you check temperature?

mrhasan
05-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Since "xenia" is melting, I presume its because your water is too clean.

11purewater
05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Since "xenia" is melting, I presume its because your water is too clean.+1 ,Xenia should be called pulsing Chaeto,Great nutrient sink.

Proteus
05-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Being u dose 3 ion after a WC I would be curious what ca and mg are at. Salinity is pretty high IMO of ca to start.

Alk is high also

I tried the 3 ion but didn't like three mix in one. Really no control of individual. How long have u used the 3 ion

Beano1169
05-15-2013, 01:33 AM
just started using props wont again, was an all of a sudden thing just happened randomly after wc i woke up and was melted down to the trunk (ifn it can be called that) right now its starting to bascially "sluff"off into the tank. it looks like there are some bits left underneath but I dont know for sure. Just waiting. Did another water change about 20% did 20% yesterday and pros 3 5%'s since I noticed the issue. right now everyone is closed up and unfortuneately I dont have a QT tank nor can I move the rock out. so I basically have to attempt to save him through water changes or watch him slowly disintegrate

Beano1169
05-15-2013, 01:38 AM
also tank is a jbj 12 gallon nano cube 1200Maxi jet return 240 Koralia nano powerhead.

Chamber 1
Filter floss, sponge cemipure, purigen (fresh yesterday), carbon (fresh yesterday) biomax at the bottom

chamber 2
mass amounts of cheato 500ml
sponge

chamber 3
bio balls and return pump

Beano1169
05-15-2013, 01:38 AM
temp right now 77.5 F

Beano1169
05-15-2013, 01:50 AM
only started like yesterday. wasnt because of the hot spell I think it was the dosing I only use the aquavitro fuel from seachem and my saly is seachem salinity.

Proteus
05-15-2013, 02:20 AM
What's the reason for dosing. A small WC on a tank that size will easily replenish values

daniella3d
05-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Especialy for LPS and soft corals, they don't need that much.

If it was an SPS tank I would say maybe but surely not for xenia and mush...no need to dose anything, just do water change.

What's the reason for dosing. A small WC on a tank that size will easily replenish values

mrhasan
05-15-2013, 03:54 AM
only started like yesterday. wasnt because of the hot spell I think it was the dosing I only use the aquavitro fuel from seachem and my saly is seachem salinity.

How much fuel did you use? Although its a good source for amino acid, dosing it at full dose can strip the tank from oxygen and can also lead to algae and/or cyano. 1/4th should be the starting dose. And I would never dose amino without strong surface wave or skimmer to replace the oxygen.

But like Titus and Daniella said, not dosing anything and regular WC is always the best idea unless you are confident that the corals you have (LPS and SPS) will use it.