PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Worms

DOO-E
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Well seen my first bristol worm today. He was just little only about an inch or 2. Purple with bright orange harry things. Didnt want to touch him i heard you get a pretty good rash. Should i take him out or leave him. I hear they are pretty good scavengers so i would like to leave im but if he is bad for the tank i will take him out. How do you get them things to multiply. :eek: O i am going to be regretting that. Watch now in 6 months my tank will be filled with them. But any way if he does get to be a problem when it is bigger i have an excuse to spend some money and but a banded coral shrimp. Or even a pair of banded coral shrimp. :idea: hmmm :idea: .

Beverly
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I think you mean bristleworms :smile: Nope, don't touch them cuz they'll definitely sting you :eek: IMO, they are great detrivores and should be part of a healthy reef. We've got this monster b-worm in our 72g. It's a sight to see, though we seldom see it.

I'd forego getting any coral banded shrimp. They are expert predators and may eat your fish.

The only tank I would keep b-worm numbers down is in a seahorse tank. I have seen one of my H. whitei mistake a very small bristleworm for a mysis and snicked it up as food :eek: :cry: Immediately, the SH spat out the b-worm, but went into convulsions for a short time. Must have stung the poor SH's mouth like crazy and I thought it was a goner for sure :frown: However, after a day, the SH was back to normal, thank goodness :smile:

DOO-E
06-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Are the CB's really that bad? I have seen them in fish tanks with no problem.

Quinn
06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Check RC, a fair number of people who've got pretty good evidence that their bandeds killed fish.

DOO-E
06-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Maybe i wont get one then. I dont know what else to get. I want some good out in the open shrimp but cant find any. The cleaners and the bloods steal food right out of anenomes (i have seen this on more than one ocasion with my own eyes): and the CB's kill fish i am getting pistols but is there any others?

StirCrazy
06-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Well seen my first bristol worm today.

was it in the bottom of a bottle of Bristol cream sherry? :mrgreen:

Steve

zulu_principle
06-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh Steve, you got all the lines.

:mrgreen:

Beverly
06-09-2004, 02:18 AM
i am getting pistols but is there any others?

I don't think you're going to see pistol shrimp very often, only at feeding times.

kuatto
06-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Since I found my pistol shrimp a few months back,i haven't seen him since,but hear the tell tale "click-click" sound every night.

Zerandise
06-09-2004, 02:33 AM
heh you have one other option (the one i fallow most closely) an invert only tank :)

Then no worries about fishing being eaten!!!!

hockey nut
06-09-2004, 07:30 AM
My watchman gobie and pistol shrimp quite happly live together. I see the pistol on a daily basis for a moment or too around feeding time. He never stops moving sand work work work . Very cool to watch the pair together. Kinda like Abott and Costello. Just not sure who's who. ( except for who's on first) I digress, anyway thumbs up for pistols. :biggrin:

DOO-E
06-09-2004, 01:23 PM
This is exactly why i want a pistol because they will form realtionships with gobies. Not all gobies only some. Most of the one i want are shrimp gobies so i figured what the heck but there are still no others you guys can think of? Stircrazy it wasnt in the bottomof a bottle of creamy sherry it was tequlia (i think that how you spell it) lol nah jj any way i will keep looking i want something that will keep these bristols in check. And yes i know the pistols wont.