PDA

View Full Version : starting to get peeved off with my tank the GREEN STUFF.

Skimmerking
05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
o as you all know, last year around I took down the 240 gal and moved everything into a RSM 250. lost alot of stuff from Marine V. now every thing is back to normal other then the DAMN Green Hair Algae.
I'm running Phosban,
i have a sea hare that is dumb. Its not eating like I thought it would do.
I have a Vertex Cone 170 for a skimmer
I use RO/DI
water changes every 2 weeks for 15 gals. using IO Reef Cystals.
I feed Flakes
I grow live brine shrimp.
mysis shrimp i use, brine blood worms ( Frozen)
I swapped out some rock that was in a tub and it was all white and now its covered in GHA. im constantly pruning and it grows back like crazy.

I swapped out my lights T-5's appox 3 months ago sothe are all new
3 x 12k new generation
1 purple
2 10K and a actinic.

For fish i have
small tommi Tang
2 clowns
cleaner wrasse
yellow wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Mystery wrasse
prawn goby
Bangi cardinal
small mandrin
large mandrin
Square spot anthias.
3 blood shrimp
1 x orange serpent brittlestar
1x lepoard serpant brittle star
1x red Brittle star
1 fomia star fish
snails
3 conchs

this is like 2 weeks ago

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/DSC_0109.jpg
the current pis is the same but with short stubby GHA all over the white rock.

and i have this on the other side

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/DSC_0110.jpg

lastlight
05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
if the stuff on the rocks grows back really fast and the film on the glass much slower I'd suspect there's phosphates leaching directly out of the rock. you'll probably just have to stay on it and keep farming the algae yourself. everytime you do it's removing those phosphates i guess.

i'd suggest a yellow tang since mine ate all my hair algae but i'm already on the small side for real estate with a 93 cube.

mseepman
05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Have you looked into Phozdown...I think you might find a way to use it to zap those rocks of some of their leaching phosphate.

Delphinus
05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
How often are you testing for phosphate? How often are you replacing the Phosban?

Skimmerking
05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Have you looked into Phozdown...I think you might find a way to use it to zap those rocks of some of their leaching phosphate.
no i haven't heard of that man.

How often are you testing for phosphate? How often are you replacing the Phosban?
i use it like weekly and i add more then what its called for. should i change it like 3-4 days see i have a Tommi tang in there now and he is around 3 " should i get a yellow maybe you know that the Tang police will jump in:wink:

i dont test if i have Algae i have PO4

mseepman
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
no i haven't heard of that man.

i use it like weekly and i add more then what its called for. should i change it like 3-4 days see i have a Tommi tang in there now and he is around 3 " should i get a yellow maybe you know that the Tang police will jump in:wink:

i dont test if i have Algae i have PO4

Aqua-digital distributes it and it's made by Ocean Fresh (TimT on here I think)

Here is a link: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80584

monocus
05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
check out the ingredients on your flake food.it might be the cause of your phosphates

Skimmerking
05-13-2013, 03:56 PM
check out the ingredients on your flake food.it might be the cause of your phosphates
i feed once per day with flake and its not that much but will check that out.

lngrhaul
05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Do you rinse your frozen food before feeding?

How long is your photo period - how long are your lights on?

When I had a big hair algae problem I used GFO, cut down my light period a bit and added a refugium with macro algae. Now I don't have any.

TimT
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi,

The Foz Down will get rid of the Phosphate in the water and also any that is leaching from the rocks. Near zero Phosphate will definitely curb the hair algae growth.

If you use ATO you can add the Foz Down to the fresh water container.

If you want to remove the flocculated Phosphate you can add the Foz Down into a filter sock. If you have a lot of phosphate the filter socks tend to plug quicker than normal.

Cheers,
Tim