PDA

View Full Version : Starfish coming out?

neoh
05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
I just hooked up a sump this evening, and all of a sudden all the starfish that I didn't even know existed have rose out of the depths of the rock and are climbing to the top of the rock (not out of the tank)

Are they trying to signal to their starfish god? Or is this a sign of something not right?

naesco
05-12-2013, 07:20 AM
They smell food.

The Guy
05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
I just hooked up a sump this evening, and all of a sudden all the starfish that I didn't even know existed have rose out of the depths of the rock and are climbing to the top of the rock (not out of the tank)

Are they trying to signal to their starfish god? Or is this a sign of something not right?
Not to worry most LR have a couple different kinds of starfish hitchhiking on it. This is a good thing and normal. You may even see a bristle worm or two.

monkE
05-12-2013, 03:27 PM
signalling starfish god for sure.

neoh
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Not to worry most LR have a couple different kinds of starfish hitchhiking on it. This is a good thing and normal. You may even see a bristle worm or two.

I know that -_- but when all of them come out at the same time, it would be considered alarming.

ScubaSteve
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't want to panic you but I had this happen when I used the wrong silicone on my tank once. All the little stars I had crawled out and many started to kick the bucket - that was my first sign something bad was happening. A few days later half my SPS followed suit. So, keep an eye on things...

Did you build your own sump? What silicone was used?

neoh
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
The sump was pre-made (aqueon 3) - so no silicone was used. The only thing possibly harmful would of been the PVC cement for the plumbing.

ScubaSteve
05-12-2013, 07:31 PM
The sump was pre-made (aqueon 3) - so no silicone was used. The only thing possibly harmful would of been the PVC cement for the plumbing.

PVC cement shouldn't cause issues if it was allowed to cure for long enough. If there are still some organics left from the cement, your skimmer take it out in time.

The fact that they all come out around the same time raises some flags but nothing to panic about. Keep some water handy in case a water change is needed.

neoh
05-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Well, they all went back into the rocks. And I do (and always) have two buckets ready for changing over. It was just a little strange that they all came out at once after the sump was kicked on.

monkE
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
like i said, signalling starfish god.