PDA

View Full Version : R/O unit which Brand

GinKu
08-20-2002, 10:33 PM
k i've been looking to get a R/O DI unit
i'm not to sure on what brand i should get
are there ne diffence
is there another canadian site that sells them beside JL Aquatics?
i'm looking for 50GPD

StirCrazy
08-20-2002, 10:35 PM
check out www.aquariumspro.ca (http://www.aquariumspro.ca) they have very competitive prices

Steve

robert
08-20-2002, 11:08 PM
I would try HomeDepot and also Rona/Revy. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
08-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Robert:
I would try HomeDepot and also Rona/Revy. :rolleyes: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmm.. not sure if you are serious or not but thease will have 25 gal units (35) at best and will not have DI. even with that low of GPH and no DI they will be much more expensive than the same thing at a good online aquarium store.

Steve

Samw
08-20-2002, 11:28 PM
I got a Kent Hi-S 60 filter. I like it. I don't have anything else to compare with but at the time I was looking, a lot of reefers were pushing the Reefpure line. So you can see now why I am happy with my choice.

The Hi-S 60 which removes 97-99% of tap water contaminants is only $10 more than the regular Kent 50 which removes 94-98% of tap water contaminants. So it made more sense for me to buy the Hi-S 60 which filters 10 GPH faster and removes 2-3% more contaminants.

I didn't go for the RO/DI units because I didn't want to spend an extra $70 (25%) to get an additional 2% in purity. Also, I want to be able to drink the water and people don't recommend drinking 100% pure water. Safeway, and other companies use RO-only to purify the drinking water that they sell. So, its good enough for me.

[ 20 August 2002, 19:32: Message edited by: Sam W ]

StirCrazy
08-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Sam W:
Also, I want to be able to drink the water and people don't recommend drinking 100% pure water. Safeway, and other companies use RO-only to purify the drinking water that they sell. So, its good enough for me.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">this is a old wives tale, there is no problem with drinking DI water.. infact a lot of countries used DI to creat water for there towns. Safeway and other places that sell R/O water don't use Di because of the added expence of both the DI its self and the labour of having some one change it out more frequently, Also you should always test your store bought water as you don't know when the last time the membrains were changed or what. (when I get save on food water, I always do a harness test of it befoe I use it)

Steve

reefburnaby
08-21-2002, 12:29 AM
Hi,

Natural water tends to contain trace elements and metals that the human being needs to be healthy. So, if you do drink exclusive DI water, then you'll need to find other ways to get those trace elements. I don't think there is any harm in drinking DI water, but I would not drink DI water during a hunger strike smile.gif

That's my take on the subject ?

- Victor.

GinKu
08-21-2002, 02:31 AM
StirCrazy
thanks for the info
how long are they gonna have the speical for?
i'm gonna be broke as a bum after my Anniversary with my gf and u know how much u will spend right plus gift and stuff which infact reminds me to go find something ahh haha
at least i didn't forget it and get b*ctch slap haha
oh and then it's her BIRTHDAY dammit looks like i won't be getting ne thing for awhile!

[ 20 August 2002, 22:33: Message edited by: Ginku ]