PDA

View Full Version : upgrade! regular or bowfront

pet-lover
05-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm finally doing an upgrade form my 29G to something slightly larger.

They main idea of the upgrade is to incorporate a sump, where I can include an ATO system and phosban reactor.

As of this moment, The max dimensions I might be allowed to have (Mom's permission) is a 38G regular, (36lx12wx20h). However I might be able to push for a 46G Bowfront which is virtually the same with a peak width of 15.5"...

In your opinion, how is the "view" of the 46G bowfront. I know big bowfronts like the 200+ Gallon at J&L is not that distortive at all, however I have never seen a 46G bowfront in person with inhabitants. Secondly, does the centre brace become a hassle? I do only plan on having one central lighting system at the moment.

Thanks.

pinkreef
05-08-2013, 06:05 PM
i have a 72 bowfront and i find it distorted
if you were using it for fresh its really pretty
but for a reef tank you want to be able to see all the little
creatures close up and i find it annoying, im going to upgrade
to a 6 foot regular next tank
barb
:eek:

The Grizz
05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
To the eye a bow front may not look distorted but if you want to take any pictures that is when it will really show.

spit.fire
05-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Should push for a 40-60g breeder tank, way more footprint to work with

Bowfronts are difficult to aqua scape due to an awkward footprint, most people I've known who have bought bowfronts for a reef tank regretted it, myself included

Dearth
05-08-2013, 11:09 PM
I love the look of a bow front but as others have stated there is distortion and it is almost impossible to get tank shots due to the distortion unless you know how to take shots without the distortion showing

pet-lover
05-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Alright thanks guys!!! I will try and use this as my advantage to upgrade to a 50 (initially what I wanted anyways).
Main benefits is swimming room, easier/cheaper for stand and i can actually fit my 29 gallon underneath as a sump.

SanguinesDream
05-10-2013, 06:34 AM
One of the great things about bow front corner tanks is that they fit in the corner. One of the bad things about bow front corner tanks is that they fit in the corner.

For convenience of compact space, you lose workability space. Just my 2 cents.

mike31154
05-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Properly lighting a bowfront can be a hassle as well, although these days with LEDs, there's more flexibility. You'd probably have to DIY the LED fixture though, I haven't seen too many commercial LED fixtures specifically designed for bowfronts, nor any other type of lighting actually.

Dearth
05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I was up at Petland last week and aw LeD lights specifically designed for bow fronts although they were cheap something to look at if you are going to do a bow front you prob can retrofit with better lights

Myka
05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Alright thanks guys!!! I will try and use this as my advantage to upgrade to a 50 (initially what I wanted anyways).
Main benefits is swimming room, easier/cheaper for stand and i can actually fit my 29 gallon underneath as a sump.

50-gallon tanks are a GREAT shape for reef tanks! My LPS/Zoa tank is a 50 (36x18x18") and I love the dimensions. Looking from the side, the closer to square you can get the easier to aquascape. Tanks that are wider than they are tall can be fun too, especially with large tanks. I don't care for the 40-gallon (36x18x16") simply because the 16" height is limiting. Tanks that are taller than they are wide are more difficult to aquascape and there are more shadows created by the rocks because the light is coming more directly from above. Think of lighting the Empire State Building with a light bulb up top (tall and narrow), and compare that to lighting a pyramid (short and wide). There will be more area of light on the pyramid. Plus, with narrow tanks it is difficult to keep the rocks from leaning on the back glass which will hinder flow.

Fwiw, I don't like bowfront tanks. The distortion drives me nuts.