PDA

View Full Version : Filtration question?

Zero
05-07-2013, 07:33 PM
In my 60 Gal tank i have a HOB 75 gal Marineland penguin 350b running next to a Boyu skiimer. My question is would adding a 75 gal canister filter be too much filteration for the system?

FishyFishy!
05-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Realistically I would get rid of all of that junk and get a sump...

However, no that would not be too much filtration at all. What really matters is what you have in the HOB filter, and in the canister filter. What are you running in the HOB right now for media/carbon/filter pads etc? What type of canister is it?

Your best bet is simple, just take out all the media like bioballs, ceramic rings, or other bio media and replace it with live rock rubble, filter pads for mechanical filtration, and maybe some carbon. Should do the trick just fine.

asylumdown
05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
FishyFishy is right. The goal with a marine aquarium filtration setup should be to limit the surface area upon which purely aerobic processing of nitrogen wastes occur. It sounds counter-intuitive, but when nitrification happens on a live-rock substrate, the nitrates are produced right on/inside a substrate that is more likely to have deeper anaerobic pores filled with anaerobic bacteria that will convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas. When nitrification is happening on a substrate with no anaerobic core (like all the commercial media you'd put in a canister filter) the resulting nitrate ends up in the water column and out of the reach of whatever population of anaerobic denitrifying bacteria you might have in your rock and sand.

If your'e going to have a canister/HOB filter, you should fill the biological media tray with the largest live rock rubble pieces you can fit to maximize the denitrification potential of the rock.

FishyFishy!
05-07-2013, 09:39 PM
FishyFishy is right. The goal with a marine aquarium filtration setup should be to limit the surface area upon which purely aerobic processing of nitrogen wastes occur. It sounds counter-intuitive, but when nitrification happens on a live-rock substrate, the nitrates are produced right on/inside a substrate that is more likely to have deeper anaerobic pores filled with anaerobic bacteria that will convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas. When nitrification is happening on a substrate with no anaerobic core (like all the commercial media you'd put in a canister filter) the resulting nitrate ends up in the water column and out of the reach of whatever population of anaerobic denitrifying bacteria you might have in your rock and sand.

If your'e going to have a canister/HOB filter, you should fill the biological media tray with the largest live rock rubble pieces you can fit to maximize the denitrification potential of the rock.

Scientific explanation ^^^^ LOL.