PDA

View Full Version : Auto top of that does not use a float swich, pump, or power.

fortheloveofcrabs
06-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi,

What do you guys think. Will this work, or would it be a stupid idea for an auto top of that does not use a float swich, pump, or power... This idea (as illustrated below) is to have a a bottle (say a 2L pop bottle) suspended upside down ofer a sump with the mouth just in the water. Natural pressure will keep the fresh water in the pop bottle. As the water in the tank evaporates, the level will drop, eventually bringing the mouth of the bottle above thewater level, causing fresh water to rush out of the bottle and and refill the tank to a point back about the mouth of the bottle. The system will them automatically stop.

http://www.geocities.com/fortheloveofcrabs/passtop.JPG

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

titus
06-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello,

Can't see the picture but it better be one heck of a big bottle to keep up with the evaporation.

Titus

Richer
06-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Instead of doing what you suggested... I would suggest using a Nurce-type of contraption for your topoff. Doing so would allow you to use a larger container, and you can place the container farther away from your sump/tank.

Check this link (http://www.lehigh.edu/~tmm6/nano/topoff.htm) out for more info on how to construct your own auto-topoff.

HTH
-Richer

Canadian Man
06-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Doing what you describe is just like dumping the container of water in your aquarium. The reason being, the current flowing across the opening of the container will mix the fluids from the tank and the container.

Just like adding the water to your system and affeting your salinity.

Make sense?

mr_alberta
06-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Osmosis right?

EmilyB
06-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Osmosis right?

I failed chemistry cause the bag broke..... :rolleyes: :razz:

Canadian Man
06-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Osmosis right?

EXACTALLY! :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
06-30-2004, 05:18 AM
I go through about 3 gallons of top off water a day.... 2 litre bottle wouldn't last me long at all.

Doug