PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new aquascape: theme movement - anemones, softies, LPS

syncro
05-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Looking to reboot my tank. I'd like the theme to be MOVEMENT. Tentacles and polyps waving in the current.

I'd like the center piece to be anemones in some form. Perhaps a large individual or a large group of small ones. Supplemented by softies and LPS.

Any suggestions? It is a smaller tank, 40g, so compatibilty will be a consideration.

Current tank:
40g
2 x occelaris, 2 x banggai cardinals
small bta, gsp, sexy shrimp, misc inverts

Thanks!

asylumdown
05-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Hard to plan an aquascape around anemones seeing as they have a penchant to go wherever they please.

If it's a smaller tank and you want to be able to keep other inverts, I'd stick with the bubble tips. If you can find a healthy sebae anemone somewhere that might work as they tend to settle down and not move, but very few of them survive the transition to captive life and they don't reproduce as readily as bubble-tips so they're not necessarily the best choice. I'm also not certain whether two different species of anemone will tolerate each other in a 40 gallon tank, they might go to chemical war with one another if not outright try to kill each other.

Otherwise, elegance corals, frog spawns, hammer corals, pulsing xenia... they all have incredible movement.

In any case it sounds like the tank is established already, so if I were doing this I'd sort out the anemones first, let them go in, choose their spot, wait until they haven't moved in a good long while, then start buying corals to place around them.

paddyob
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
A group of anemones will try spawn. It could nuke a small tank.

My RBTA split 4 times. I was awake one night and they all started releasing their stuff. Tank was white.

Let's say immediate water change!

Not sure how my 70 would have done had I been away. Or at work.

One big nem. But remove any clones.

syncro
05-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks asylumdown and paddyob. All good points to consider. I'll do some research on the sebea anemone.