PDA

View Full Version : diferance in color CREE LED

KevinK
05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
when I initially build my LED unit (in total about 200 CREE LED's) I only used cool white and blue (no R blue)

at the time, thy did not had the RB in stock, and I did not bother to much.

I had 104 white and 92 blue

I know it is a bit much on the white side, but slowly want to work on this, and as I had 8 heat sink slabs with 11 white led's on it, I removed 3 white led's and put the new XT-E RB's on it.

now when everything is on, I don't se any difference in color (of the individual LED's.

there are blue and R-blue led's next to each other, but don't se a speck of difference, so I thought it is me, but I asked several, and no one is seeing any difference.

question is, should I se a difference ? (of color in individual led's (not in the tank)

Sunee
05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I have an AI Sol with the blue and royal blue crees. There is a definite difference in the colour of the light coming off them.

daplatapus
05-03-2013, 12:11 AM
According to Cree's data sheets, Royal blue runs 450-465 nm wavelength while the blue (or cool blue) runs 465-485nm. I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see by the naked eye. The question comes down to what your research shows is necessary for good colour and coral health. :D
This is where I believe DIY full spectrum builds differentiate themselves from stock fixtures and what will ultimately drive where high end fixtures will go. But for now, these full spectrum builds are just experimental and we'll see what grows things the best...

KevinK
05-03-2013, 03:48 AM
I have an AI Sol with the blue and royal blue crees. There is a definite difference in the colour of the light coming off them.

If i lock at this, this is what i expected, but don't se at all

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/26/tricolor-led-pucks-for-the-aquaillumination-bring-the-blue-and-royal-blue/

There is no difference at all, and not only to my eye

i have to check with milad, if thy maybe put the wrong led in the bag

Sunee
05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
If i lock at this, this is what i expected, but don't se at all

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/26/tricolor-led-pucks-for-the-aquaillumination-bring-the-blue-and-royal-blue/

There is no difference at all, and not only to my eye

i have to check with milad, if thy maybe put the wrong led in the bag

That is exactly what I see with my AI. It is not a huge difference but easy to see.

You should check just in case you were sent the wrong LEDs.