PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare

Keen
06-06-2004, 05:00 PM
I have a question. I have been looking up something to get rid of green hair algea, and I have heard from a couple of people that a Sea Hare is the best thing for it. But I looked on liveaquaria and they say that sea hares only eat Caulerpa. can anyone tell me what is the right info?

spikehs
06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I had a sea hare and it ate all my hair algae, but then he got sucked up into a powerhead :rolleyes:

Gools
06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I've had sea hare's they are awesome at eating green hair algae. But I can almost guarentee you they won't last long. I've tried 4 on different occasions, and after 3 weeks they died, and I couldn't find them and they caused more of a problem. If you can get them they work great, but are hard to find.

Keen
06-07-2004, 03:41 AM
are they normally expensive?

bulletsworld
06-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Sea hares are about $20.00 or more depending on the size. Generally I paid about $20 dollars for one. You can find them mostly in Edmonton here at Big Al's. Last Wednesday, I had seen some beige colored sea hares at AI for $20-25.

In my experience Sea hares were great for cleaning up my hair algae but after the hair algae was gone I noticed they would die. I liked the blobs so much I bought another in the hopes that I would feed other algaes, but again had no success and it would die. I gave up trying as I didn't want to starve another.

I found from others that they have had the same problems with keeping sea hares alive. Big Al's at one time had an amazing colored spotted sea hare and that it was from the caribbean. Apparently the sales guy told me that these sea hares from this origin live longer and can be fed other algae but I never bought that one to find out.

bulletsworld
06-07-2004, 06:49 PM
actually here is some great articles & pic's of the sea hares

http://www.seaslugforum.net/seahares.htm