PDA

View Full Version : Seeding sand, where... and protein skimmer.

robert
08-20-2002, 02:34 AM
Hello,
any idea where I could get couple cups of established live sand to seed my DSB? I am looking for sand with some fauna in it not just nitro bacteria.

Also I have a question regarding my skimmer. I got Big Mombasa that I used on my FOWLR tank 2-3 years ago. My goal this time is to build mini reef with some hardy inverts. Is it a good enough skimmer for my tank?

Any ideas will be higly appreciated.

Robert

[ 19 August 2002, 22:37: Message edited by: Robert ]

reefburnaby
08-20-2002, 05:24 AM
Hi,

Big Mombasa...like this one : http://www.petsforum.com/fishnchips/1999/fnc1199.html

Well...it isn't so hot for a nominally loaded 70 gallon tank. It would probably work well on a loaded 20...but not on a 70. Even with an airstone modification and better pump, you might be able to squeeze a 33...that's about it. Sorry. :(

The problem is the reaction chamber (the portion of the skimmer that has the air bubble / water contact) is very short and narrow. The key here is...larger air/water contact volume. Something like a Red Sea Berlin skimmer (I think there is a used one on the board) should probably be sufficient for your tank. If you want to build your own, you can either try a becket type skimmer (lots of plans on the net) or a counter-current (CC) skimmer (Snailman's skimmer on RC). A good skimmer will save you from having headaches in the future.

I have a 90 and I use a CC skimmer -- its about 6 feet tall and 4inches in diameter. smile.gif The total cost of the skimmer came to about $200 and it skims like a dream.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

robert
08-20-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by reefburnaby:
Hi,
Well...it isn't so hot for a nominally loaded 70 gallon tank.
- Victor.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well Victor, that is exactly what I think watching my skimmer performance for a few days after adding some more pieces of uncured live rock. I tried to add air stone and better pupm. It doesn't make much difference.

Time to move on I guess?! :confused: Any other suggestions beside Berlin one?

Robert

[ 20 August 2002, 02:45: Message edited by: Robert ]

reefburnaby
08-20-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi,

What's your price range ?

- Victor.

robert
08-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by reefburnaby:
Hi,

What's your price range ?

- Victor.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have price range idea yet. I would like to have a few different price level options. After that I will start to shop around and see what can be done on new and used stuff.

Anyway, any opinions on Precision Marine Venturi 426?

Thanks,
Robert

reefburnaby
08-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Hi,

426 is a bit too small for your tank. Something like a 626 should be good (its about $70 more at J&Ls). From what I have heard, its a good quality skimmer. You'll need a big pump to drive it (Mak4 or a Mag 12). Red Sea Berlin comes with a pump and priced similar to a 426 and 626 and they run around ~$300.

Other good skimmers are the Euroreef skimmers and Bullet-1/2. You are looking at ~$400-$500 for a Euroreef and ~$600-$700 for the Bullet.

There are a couple of reefers that are building excellent skimmers as a part time job -- such as Titus and Reef_raf. Reef_raf has a pictures of his on : http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000150 (pump extra). The two skimmers should perform better than a Bullet-2 or 3 (based on same technology).

Sure...the up front cost for this hobby is very high, but it will pay you back in the end. If your skimmer is working well, you will avoid all of the great headaches and let downs in the hobby : hair algae, cyano and other nasties.

- Victor.

robert
08-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Hello!
Victor thanks a lot for your advices. I already emailed Reef_Raf (awaiting response) and I will try Titus as well. Do you think that Berlin one would do for my tank? Also where I can get Euroreef in Vancouver or online in canada?

Thanks a lot.
Robert

Doug
08-20-2002, 06:59 PM
Hard to find any Euroreef,s in Canada. They must be purchased from them or someone like Premium Aquatics or Marine Depot. All American of course. Euroreef does have their own website.

For beckett type skimmers, one can look right here on Canreef. Or e-mail Titus.

Or www.saltwaterconnection.com (http://www.saltwaterconnection.com) Jayson also makes a couple models of the becketts. One smaller than the big one I had.

Skimmerking
08-20-2002, 07:58 PM
I second that Jayson's skimmer's rock ,seen them in action at Doug's place. Nice setup they look awesome too. a

ANd by the way SIZE DOES MATTER ..LOL tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

robert
08-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks asmodeus and Doug for a tip. I emailed Jayson with protein skimmer request as I am in the process of ordering some critters from him.

Regards,
Robert

Aquattro
08-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Robert, I sent you a reply earlier. Since you need a skimmer sooner rather than later, I would also recommend Jayson. I believe he has something in stock that will fill your needs. He also has skimmers on special this month, according to his monthly newsletter.