PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow and Sand

Ryan7
04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Looking for tips to help stop water flow from disturbing sand:

Details:

325G tank, 72"L x 36"W x 30"H

Two closed loop pumps on one end of the tank (one dart)(one hammerhead) holes are about 5" from surface, currently oscillating back and forth. LR is mostly suspended from the sand with excepting of two pillars.

Water travels 72" across the upper half of the tank, hits the other end of tank, travels down the same end and moves the sand away from the glass creating a small pile up.

I dont want to reduce the flow, and would like to avoid putting any water pipe diverters in the bulkheads, as with now they are flush with the glass

Will post some pics if will help.

any ideas?

denny_CC
04-30-2013, 06:34 PM
larger sand perhaps?

Ryan7
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Want to keep it sugar sized, thx

reef-keeper
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
This is just a suggestion. How about a water diffuser just above the sand to break up and soften the current flow. Like a piece drilled plexus glass mounted at a 45 degree angle with the wide part facing up.

Aquattro
04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Sorry, it's really a less flow or coarser sand issue :) If you can't redirect flow away from sand enough, one of those two need to change. Or deal with it until your corals grow out more, that's what fixed my tank. Although now I need more flow. Which will move the sand again. Sigh :)

fishytime
04-30-2013, 08:09 PM
You could try a couple small pieces of live rock to break the flow pattern?