PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Turblle Stream 2 pump 6065

htfn
04-30-2013, 05:45 AM
I've got 6065 for about 1.5yrs. I recently noticed my pump turned the back wards, and tonight I lost my Naso Tang was sucked in. Now, I would like to ask you how can I stop the turning back wards. Do I just need to replace an impeller. Any idea?
Thanks

htfn
04-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Anyone knows what cause this problem?

Delphinus
04-30-2013, 06:48 PM
On the 6065 there should be a little bump like thing on the inside of the cover that when the propeller spins backwards, it would hit that and then start spinning in the correct direction. (If a propeller spins backwards it will want to pull up and thus hit this bump, otherwise if spinning in the correct direction it will miss it.) Either the bump has worn off the cover (and thus the cover needs to be replaced) or the impeller fins have the tips worn or broken off (and thus the impeller doesn't hit that part). You might be able to replace the impeller fins if that is the case, if not, then indeed you would want to order a new impeller.

htfn
04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your advice. I just checked it, but I didn't see any difference. Mean time I did cleaned a pump, but it still does same thing. If I'm at home, I just unplug it and plug back in then it works normal. Hopefully, I don't loose any fish any more.

fishoholic
05-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I know on the Koralia pumps if you plug it in one way it will blow outwards but reverse the plug and it sucks the water in. Not sure if its the same with a tunze or not.

Delphinus
05-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Is it possible you have a cover from a 6055? IIRC, the DC/controllable Tunzes are impossible to spin backwards but the AC/non-controllable ones have that 50/50 chance of spinning backwards and thus need to have the impeller hit something to stop it spinning backwards. It bounces back in the right direction. Anyhow if it's a cover from a 6055 it might fit OK but probably won't have this stop post. Which could explain why you're having a problem with it spinning backwards.

I was just reading about this not that long ago, I'll see if I can find the link.

Delphinus
05-01-2013, 01:57 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1869000

Suggests in there another possibility is that there is calcium buildup inside the impeller or the shaft, impeding it's ability to shift upwards when spinning in the reverse direction. In that case a vinegar bath should fix you up..

htfn
05-01-2013, 05:19 AM
When I cleaned every parts, I didn't see any calcium build up, but I will soak in vinegar this weekend. It doesn't heart.
And also I will take my pump to LFS to find housing and/or impeller. Hopefully, I can test my pump when I replace one of them or both.

I use to own Hydor Koralia, and did same, but before I replaced any, it just dead. That's why I've got this pump.

htfn
05-01-2013, 05:28 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1869000

Suggests in there another possibility is that there is calcium buildup inside the impeller or the shaft, impeding it's ability to shift upwards when spinning in the reverse direction. In that case a vinegar bath should fix you up..

Thanks for this info. I just read it, and I have to check again to see the housing for 4 tabs.

htfn
05-02-2013, 03:23 AM
I have contacted Tunze in N. America, and their reply was below. If you happen to have a same problem, these are what you need to check.

Only 5 causes are possible, a 1) broken propeller, check the ends of the blades for any breaks. *2) The drive unit is stuck to the shaft by calcium, at least partly, cleaning will solve it. 3) The voltage is too low, for example the pump turns on at the same time as HQI lights, furnace, vacuum cleaner and the voltage is below 105V. 4) The disk is in front of the drive unit instead of behind or it is missing. *5) The front cover is damaged, specifically the cross that stops the propeller. *The first 2 are the most common. *The motor for sure is not the cause and should not be replaced.

Let me know if you can pinpoint these issue. Where have you bought your item ?

htfn
05-05-2013, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=Delphinus;815492]On the 6065 there should be a little bump like thing on the inside of the cover that when the propeller spins backwards, it would hit that and then start spinning in the correct direction. (If a propeller spins backwards it will want to pull up and thus hit this bump, otherwise if spinning in the correct direction it will miss it.) Either the bump has worn off the cover (and thus the cover needs to be replaced)

This is exactly what happened. I replaced a housing, and it's works like a new.
Thanks again.