PDA

View Full Version : Nikon DSLR users - anyone here using a D600?

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm curious if anyone is using a D600 for tank photography?

Top-dogg
04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
I'm using d800. I'm still trying to figure out the right settings to take a pic under led. The pics are too blue when I take shots.

fishoholic
04-29-2013, 04:29 AM
I have a Nikon d3100 its a good camera but I still haven't learned enough about it to figure out all the settings on it yet to make the colour right.

fishytime
04-29-2013, 04:31 AM
I have a Nikon d3100 its a good camera but I still haven't learned enough about it to figure out all the settings on it yet to make the colour right.

*coughreadtheinstructionmanualcough*

scubadawg
04-29-2013, 05:02 AM
I have a D700 and D800, do a manual white balance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJshpNih1M

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 05:35 AM
I was kind of hoping for user experiences on the D600. I'm really tempted to look into this one as the reviews are very good. It's basically the 7000 or 7100 but with a full frame sensor. It's also very similar to the D800 but 16Mp versus 24Mp and literally half the cost. I'm not sure that the extra 8Mp would make a huge difference to me so I'm really excited about the possibilities that the D600 might offer.

I'm coming off a D70s which is about 6-7 years old now, and while it's a great camera for most things, it really has a lot trouble with tank shots unless I bump up the ISO to max (which is 1600 and very grainy) or take 4 seconds per exposure which only works for corals and even then only if I turn off all water pumps and let the tank settle. And yet even then, the colour rendition is quite poor compared to many other cameras. I'm sure some of it is white balance but even with an adjusted white balance the saturation is just not there.

I'm somewhat torn because even though it's lot less than another other FX sensor model, it's still a heavy handed purchase and even if going used or refurb it pretty much nails the coffin shut for an eventual move to LED lights over tank for quite some time. I've already mentally come to terms that I'm not switching my big tank over to LED this year, I will replace the halides (a few months overdue now, been holding off because .. well I kind of thought I might switch to LED but everytime I price it out .. I just can't do it). So be that as it may, my second most profound annoyance with my tank these days is that I can't take pictures of the tank that stand in the peer group of most Canreefers who post pictures. Let's face it, I'll never be Kien and I won't try but I still wonder if I'd be happier if I could post something that doesn't 100% suck.

But then again the D7000 and D7100 would also be a huge jump from what I have, and certainly compare to the D600 with higher ISO options but are half the price again (at the cost of going with a DX sensor over an FX sensor).

Some of my lenses I've had for a while and basically date back to when I shot with a 35mm Nikon so that's why I'm still tempted to go FX because the lenses were meant for 35mm. The zoom effect is neat with the DX sensor but there are times I try shooting with one of my macro lenses and I have to stand 8 feet back otherwise all I have is one enormous fish eyeball filling the entire frame. It turns out there is such a thing as too much zoom. :lol:

Vistek offers rentals of cameras so I might just rent one for a weekend and see how it plays out and then I'll have a better idea of whether I'm ready to pull the trigger or not but in the meantime I'd still like to hear from any users about how they like it for tank shots. (Please and thank you!)

:) thanks all!

windcoast reefs
04-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Currently I would stay away from the d600. At least until the supply chain is purged of the models with issues. There is a bad case of dust being pulled thought the camera into the inner workings. I've sold a few dozen d600's in the past month and I've had 11 returned to nikon with dust issues. I'm not sure if nikon has identified a batch or specific serials, but it might be worth a call to nikon Canada to confirm. I'm still waiting to hear back from my nikon rep to see if it's an isolated batch or not.

Also the d600 is running at 24mp and the d800 is 36mp. It's a big difference but unless your shooting commercial work I wouldn't bother with the d800. If your looking for high ISo then any of the cameras you mentioned will work gear for that, even the d7000 is a great low light performer.

I think your on the right track with renting the camera first, you may find out its way to much or just right.

Anyway you go, you'll get a good camera, just keep an eye on the d600 and check for dust periodically.

scubadawg
04-29-2013, 06:04 AM
How many lenses do you have in the DX format? If you have a lot in glass, then go with a D7100, if you don't have too much invested then upgrade to FX.

I have a 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 18-200mm in DX
I started with a D70, then went to D200's, then D300
sold my D70, and sold my D300, went to the D700, still have 2 D200's which I have the underwater housing for the D200's

Now I am buying the D800 underwater housing.

If you want you can try my D700 or D800 on my tank, I have 2 - 60" Sunbrite LED's over my tank

I have 16mm, 18mm, 20mm, 85mm, 17-35mm AFS, 24-120mm, 24-120 VR, 28-70mm AFS, 70-200mm AFS VR, 80-200mm AFS, 60mm micro, 105mm micro, 105mm VR micro, lenses to choose from.

I live on the north side, east of Red Coral

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 07:23 AM
I have about 4 or 5 lenses, nothing spectacular but about 3 of them were really meant for 35mm. I'll have to look up their model #'s and spec them out to be certain if there's a huge advantage to sticking with them and going FX. I'm just sort of assuming things would be better since the bigger sensor area presumably has more to grab light with comparatively (one would think anyhow).

Unfortunately I'm totally in the wrong city otherwise I'd totally take you up on that offer scubadawg. Thanks anyhow!!

Windcoast - ooh, interesting. Good to know, thanks for the head-up!

fishoholic
04-29-2013, 02:16 PM

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn137/nenaj08/smiley-tongue-out.gif

slakker
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
I shoot with D3 and m wife with D90... Because of hat, I never get DX lenses and I prefer the FX sensor...

yycguy
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Howdy, I have the d600, upgraded at Christmas from the d7000, that's another good Camera. So it's a decision on going full frame or sticking with the cropped DX line of lens. You can sill however use a DX lens on the D600, maybe that's where you got he 16 megapixel ? That is I believe the number when you use a DX lens on the D600. Now for the Dust issue! Yes I had dust! ( Cleaned it easily) But I guess what Camera doesn't to some degree? My D7000 did as well. Sorry don't have any tank pictures right now to show you, but I have some other great shots I would be glad to share if you want to see the great pictures this Camera takes, long and short I am more than happy with the Camera and I would guess you would be as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I got the megapixel #'s wrong typing that post in a hurry (should have checked my facts before posting but .. meh). What I really meant to get at was that the D800 has probably more megapixels than what I would ever make use of since I am not a pro shooter and I don't foresee a lot of really big poster sized images (unless cropping out a very small portion of an image is something people do a lot of, I generally haven't, because I don't have the megapixels for that now). I think the D600 with whatever megapixels it has, would functionally serve me well enough and it is (comparatively to other models) priced nicely enough to consider getting into the FX sensor line. Especially since coming off the 6Mp D70s I would imagine anything will seem a huge leap forward.

lastlight
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
let's back-track a moment. how does the cost of this new camera compare to that of your LED upgrade? i think we need to step back a few steps in this decision process...

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
It's about half what LEDs would cost me.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, I might end up not even buying a camera and just continuing on with the whole "Look at all these nice pictures of tanks on Canreef. I wish I could put some pictures up. I hate the whole world." for another year or two.

But it's fun pretending in the meantime! I'm going to go look at Porsche 911's on kijiji next. It's a hobby. I didn't say it was a good hobby..

scubadawg
04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
It's about half what LEDs would cost me.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, I might end up not even buying a camera and just continuing on with the whole "Look at all these nice pictures of tanks on Canreef. I wish I could put some pictures up. I hate the whole world." for another year or two.

But it's fun pretending in the meantime! I'm going to go look at Porsche 911's on kijiji next. It's a hobby. I didn't say it was a good hobby..

You really like the spend money:)
I have a 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera that I bought 5 years ago, do it, you'll love it:)
Next you'll want a Rolex Daytona to go with the Porsche:)

Delphinus
04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I didn't say I'd buy one (although I'd love to). No, my hobby is just looking at them on kijiji. Sometimes I branch out and look at usedcalgary.com too.

JDigital
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Have you seen a Dr. about that cough... It doesn't sound to healthy! :lol:

smareo
05-09-2013, 09:19 AM
D600 a pretty good camera for Fullframe entry but I would highly recommend a used d700 with a low shutter count if your only taking fish tank photos for half the price maybe 1000 bucks. I would even consider the nikon d5200 at 24mp. I would only go to fullframe if you have the glass or planning to have the glass in the future, the price your looking at a new Full frame lens is about 1000+ at 2.8f and less. You can get some cheap full frame primes under 600 bucks the 50mm 1.4f and 28 1.8f. I shoot with a Nikon D4, D800 and I sold the d600 because it was a pain to ttl everything for studio work.

Sample images from d5200 at 1600iso and up... remember the picture is cropped http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5200/noise.shtml

smareo
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
D600 a pretty good camera for Fullframe entry but I would highly recommend a used d700 with a low shutter count if your only taking fish tank photos for half the price maybe 1000 bucks. I would even consider the nikon d5200 at 24mp. I would only go to fullframe if you have the glass or planning to have the glass in the future, the price your looking at a new Full frame lens is about 1000+ at 2.8f and less. You can get some cheap full frame primes under 600 bucks the 50mm 1.4f and 28 1.8f. I shoot with a Nikon D4, D800 and I sold the d600 because it was a pain to ttl everything for studio work.

Sample images from d5200 at 1600iso and up... remember the picture is cropped http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5200/noise.shtml

To make full use of a fullframe sensor, your must have full frame glass or you will get lots of vignetting around the corners of the photo if you use dx glass.

Delphinus
05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Cool, thanks. Most if not all of my lenses are in fact FX because I've had them longer than the camera body (coming off 35mm *film* .. yeah, I guess I'm dating myself with that statement. Of course, I only date myself because nobody else will. Ba da bing! Thank you thank you I'm here all week.). I think I have 1 lens that is meant for DX, I have to take a closer look at it as I haven't used it in a while.

Maybe the thing to do would be to sell off the lot and start over with newer equipment... so that the whole gamet is of similar vintage since what I have right now is a fair range of ages spanning quite a few years. I dunno.

The D700 was another camera I had been flirting with the idea of the last couple years. For its age I hear it's still a very good option. This (http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d600/vs-d700.htm) was one of the reasons I had started considering the D600 though. New has a nice sounding flair to it and all.

scubadawg
05-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Personally IMHO, just go for it and get D800, it's 36 meg, so you will not be upgrading for a very long time.
I'm getting a new underwater housing for my d800 since they now have strobes that are fully automatic now with the d800, finally replacing my d200 and nikonos strobes underwater.
This will be my last upgrade for a very long time.
How much more do you need?
I use my D800 as primary camera and D700 as backup.

Delphinus
05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Kind of off topic but curious if you have ever looked into the Nikon-1 line at all? I sort of wonder if at some point the mirrorless cameras are going to overtake the DSLRs.

scubadawg
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Personally I like a real viewfinder:)

smareo
05-09-2013, 05:28 PM
I use a Olympus OMD E-5 and love it. The nikon mirrorless system isn't that great in my opinion. The Olympus OMD is more of a polished system and its pretty sweet for convince, but if your paying for that prize 1200 for the kit... I would personally go for a d700. D800 is a great camera but are you willing to drop 3000 bucks on it for fishtank portrait shoots?

scubadawg
05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I look at economics, a D600 or D700 is $2000.00 or so, the D800 is $3000.00, if you use it for 5-7 years then the extra $1000.00 is only 200.00 a year or so difference.

I used my D200 and housing for 5 years, and now upgrading to a new housing. So when you consider, 2 strobes at 750.00 each, and housing at 3500.00 approx, I look at getting 5 years out of an housing. I have all the ports and gears for the lenses.

I don't plan on upgrading my D800 and housing for at least 5-7 years or more.

I plan to buy another D800 or D800e, in the future as a backup.

I have 2 D200, which I still own with 2 housings, and 3 Nikonos strobes, which I'm keeping, because what are they worth to sell:(

I still have my film cameras, Hasselblads, Leica, Nikon F100's etc.

If your spending 2k, what's another 1k, you already into an expensive hobby, reef tank.

smareo
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Nikon d700 don't go for 2000 anymore and plus it's really hard to find a brand new one these days. On the used market you can easily score one for 1000 - 1300 bucks with a low shutter count under 10k and you could put that extra 1000 bucks on a nice price of glass. Bodies go down in price but glass usually maintains it value, you only take about 10% hit when selling the glass while the bodies you just lost your investment when they release a new bodies

scubadawg
05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Nikon d700 don't go for 2000 anymore and plus it's really hard to find a brand new one these days. On the used market you can easily score one for 1000 - 1300 bucks with a low shutter count under 10k and you could put that extra 1000 bucks on a nice price of glass. Bodies go down in price but glass usually maintains it value, you only take about 10% hit when selling the glass while the bodies you just lost your investment when they release a new bodies

I agree, whatever you decide, you'll be happy with decision.
If you decide to buy extra lenses in the future, go with full frame lenses.

To keep cost down, you can always get a D7100, but it's DX

verongome
06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I have a D800. What help did you need?