PDA

View Full Version : Changing lighting

Gools
06-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I was thinking about changing my halides from 175 to 400w. How would I go about doing this? Do I just start them up for a coule of hours a day for a while and gradually increase the time? And do I have to put my corals at the bottom of the tank, and then bring them back up over time? Thank

DOO-E
06-05-2004, 10:41 PM
This si what i would do. It all depends on how many bulbs you have so put one 400 into a socket then gradually increase the time it is on. Once it is on as much as your current one then switch over the smaller bubl and do the same.

Doug
06-06-2004, 12:08 AM
What 400,s are you thinking of using?

We had a couple of good threads on here regarding that. There are several ways of ramping up. One thats seems popular is 4hrs. on and 1 off. Seems thats some type of limit before bleaching. I assume its done for several weeks. I would have to go find the threads on RC for more info.

I know the current TOTM there was switched from vho to 400w Radiums. He ran the vho most of the day and the Radiums for a small period of time. I believe he ramped up the 400,s a but more each day for at least a month.

Another way is to have the hood on a cable system, starting high up and coming down lower a bit at a time. That one never worked for me, :rolleyes: but I know others have used it.

Which ever way its done, be very careful and yours corals should be fine. Get in a hurry and its bleach city.

Gools
06-06-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting some XM's. But have not decided which yet, the 10000K or the 20000K. I have to do some research on different lighting schemes.

StirCrazy
06-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Ok getting away from gradually increasing the on time and such, the way that I have used is to get a digital timer that you can set 8 or more on/off time on it. what you do is set it to go on for 1 hour then off for 1 hour, and repeat for the normal lighting period. so for me I would have it go one and off 5 times for a total of 10 hours.

then after 4 days you adjust it to on for 1:15, off for 0:45, ect for the lighting period, then after another 4 day on for 1:30, off for 0:30 and so on.. then another 4 days and on for 1:45, off for 0:15 and so on. then after 4 days just on :mrgreen:

I have done this 3 or 4 times now and others have as well and I have not heard of a bad result yet.

Steve