PDA

View Full Version : internal overflow questions

rusty shackleford
04-29-2013, 12:48 AM
so im planning to drill a biocube 29 for a sump, already ripped out the back wall.
i have no idea how to go about an internal overflow...
i basically wanna do exactly what this guy did -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiULCECRU10

just wondering if i can just get the actual box and bulkhead or if there is something in there to help quite it down or somthing (baffle/standpipe type thing)

if someone could maybe explain what they think the tank in the video was constructed that would help greatly

thanks all

monocus
04-29-2013, 01:49 AM
to take up the least amount of room,use a stockman.i have them on all my tanks and they are very quiet.i have also being using larger pvc drilled and slotted for my overflows.just make sure that the bottom of the stockman is a slip joint so you can remove it for eventual cleaning

monocus
04-29-2013, 01:53 AM
just watched the video,looks more like a herbie as it's on the back wall.if it was through the bottom i would use a stockman

rusty shackleford
04-29-2013, 02:22 AM
thanks for the quick reply, but im still a little confused
can i just drill the hole, throw a bulkhead in it and build an overflow box ?

The Guy
04-29-2013, 03:28 AM
thanks for the quick reply, but im still a little confused
can i just drill the hole, throw a bulkhead in it and build an overflow box ?Check out Bulk Reef supply site they got great DIY video's.
You may want to consider a second emergency drain as well. I would go with the herbie system very quiet when it's set. IMO

monocus
04-29-2013, 03:56 AM
plan it out first;once a hole is drilled ,its drilled.think of the size of your return lines,and have the drain 1/2 to two times bigger.buy your bulkheads and figure the depth from the top of the edge of your tank to where your holes are going to be.aqua medic makes a nice overflow comb,where you can remove the teeth for cleaning.j&l carries it.if the tank is glass you might want to check out a glass overflow box,and make sure you use aquarium safe silicone(i use newflex 333 aquarium silicone.a tube is about $12 and you can order it from any glass company