PDA

View Full Version : water flow

BCReefer
08-20-2002, 05:21 PM
I have a question about water circulation and oxygen in water.

I currently use 2 pumps (sorry cannot remember the exact name and version) that turns my water around 3 – 4 times each. I have them turned down low and only allowing a small number of bubbles. Should I increase the bubble and water flow pressure which increases the oxygen? I also have a BakPak 2 skimmer which I understands add oxygen to the tank.

The reason I ask such an odd question is that when I look at other peoples tanks I never see bubbles in the water and I wonder if you just turn them off when taking pictures.

I understand that certain critter might not like direct flow of water on them but I am looking at the over all water flow and oxygen in the tank. I have found that if I do not have some bubbles that scum appears on the top of the water.

I have a 33G tank.

Thanks
Patrick

Troy F
08-20-2002, 06:46 PM
Patrick, the PH you are using should be able to run full out without bubbles. I had 8 different pumps (7 powerheads and a little giant on closed loop) and never had bubbles. One of the things that can cause the bubbles is having the pump close to the surface where its jet can grab air. You're not using a venturi feature with your pumps are you?

Without overflows it is tough to avoid a surface film, some people just point a powerhead at the surface.