PDA

View Full Version : SPS suck sometimes

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Got home last night and found a third of my green cap has dissolved, just for fun. Probably have to frag it out if there's any left tonight. Stoopid corals.

reefwars
04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Got home last night and found a third of my green cap has dissolved, just for fun. Probably have to frag it out if there's any left tonight. Stoopid corals.

any ideas what caused it? def sucks i liked the way yours was growing out:(

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
any ideas what caused it? def sucks i liked the way yours was growing out:(

No, nothing has changed. Just poof. Everything else is fine, including the other caps. Just happens sometimes, I guess

reefermadness
04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
That zeo...so unpredictable. J/K.

That is strange though...montipora are usually the last to rtn. I find they are more likely to fade out if there is a problem vs. Rtn like a acro. Can't say I've ever had a montipora Rtn now that I think about it.

Did it get stung maybe...was it healthy and colorful otherwise?

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I had my orange cap do the same thing a couple years back. This one was perfect, no damage, no silt lying on it. Just overnight, started rotting from the center out. On the remaining tissue, the polyps are out, and it's a colorful as ever. No change in flow or lighting, so no idea, just one of those things I guess.

TimT
04-25-2013, 03:26 PM
The corals were probably having a party while you were sleeping and someone spilled their glass of vodka. ;-)

kien
04-25-2013, 03:28 PM
SPS suck sometimes

sometimes ??? :lol:

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 03:29 PM
The corals were probably having a party while you were sleeping and someone spilled their glass of vodka. ;-)

Not sure that's the cause, although that would explain the olives floating in the tank :)

sphelps
04-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I find it happens often when caps cup upwards. As they grow along with other corals surrounding it lack of flow becomes a problem. One of my green caps just did the same thing.

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
I find it happens often when caps cup upwards. As they grow along with other corals surrounding it lack of flow becomes a problem. One of my green caps just did the same thing.

This one is really off on it's own, not impeded at all by other corals. I suppose something slight that I can't notice perhaps. It also hasn't really cupped much, more a flat outward growth. Oh well, I have a backup piece in the frag tank and hopefully will have a large leaf left by tonight.

reefermadness
04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
I guess just be thankful it was a green cap and not something more rare....that and you have a back up.

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
I guess just be thankful it was a green cap and not something more rare....that and you have a back up.

Ya. It's a nice cap, purple polyps, but it's more of a landscaping issue if I have to cut it all out :) Kind of wrecks the symmetry of the area. We'll see, maybe it will stop. haha

reefermadness
04-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Green with purple polyp cap?? You didnt say that...got any pics? Cant say ive ever seen one.

HaZRaTTy
04-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Brad sorry to hear but here is my Theory,

month ago you re-scaped your tank taking out the center pillar and fragging and selling some colonies, maybe your green cap got so depressed you killed and gave away his friends he committed suicide?

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Green with purple polyp cap?? You didnt say that...got any pics? Cant say ive ever seen one.

Ya, I think I have pics somewhere. I'll look around, hopefully there's enough to save a large piece. If not, I have a smaller frag in frag tank.

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
.got any pics? Cant say ive ever seen one.

This is all I have. They look more blue in the pic, but are closer to purple

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/green2_zps953d510c.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/reef_raf/media/green2_zps953d510c.jpg.html)

lastlight
04-25-2013, 07:21 PM
more than a landscaping issue there... you said green cap making me think it was your run-of-the-mill one. that thing's gorgeous even under SOLs.

reefermadness
04-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Nice one Brad. I have seen that before, called flower petal monti....my condolences

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
that thing's gorgeous even under SOLs.

You need to stop reading the hype :) SOLs are just fine lights, the coral looks exactly like it did under Radiums.

even under SOLs...hmmmph

Borderjumper
04-25-2013, 07:28 PM
It prolly has a fancy name.. I think it's a Flower Petal Monti.
I have one thats green like that with red polyps.. Strawberry fields Monti.. And then there is a bright green one that has more ridges than folds with orange/red polyps.. Chili pepper Monti.

Wonder who comes up with these names.

brad... My strawberry fields one is one a magnet and has encrusted up onto the glass.. The big petal on the glass is white this morning.. Who knows?

Cymaster007
04-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear! At least you have some new real-estate in the tank now, you can add some new SPS to it!

Aquattro
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear! At least you have some new real-estate in the tank now, you can add some new SPS to it!

Well, that's sort of the problem. It's mounted to the back of a rock, and replacing it with something else, I won't see the new piece for a year until it grows out. As it is, you can't see it from the front if you're looking straight on the tank.

lastlight
04-25-2013, 08:27 PM
You need to stop reading the hype :) SOLs are just fine lights, the coral looks exactly like it did under Radiums.

even under SOLs...hmmmph

Your coral looks fantastic I have no doubts =) You need a ribbing every now and then though.

Myka
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Stoopid coral. That's a beauty though!

i have crabs
04-26-2013, 01:11 AM
It's basically your own fault, deep down you probably thought everything is going good and the fish gods can't have that going on

Aquattro
04-26-2013, 01:17 AM
It's basically your own fault, deep down you probably thought everything is going good and the fish gods can't have that going on

You're right. I do blame myself. :)