PDA

View Full Version : looking for info for new setup please

fishguyxd
06-05-2004, 04:15 AM
:smile: Hi I have been to big Als ,fam pet in sherwood ,a wholesale place?? by the mayfield and other pet stores petsmart,petset,pet paradise in st albert Ok I have narrowed it down to getting a 75 gal aquarium and stand.why I like that size for length andwidth, ht. I have looked at lots of tanks from a brand called all-glass to Oceanic brand to the others@ big al's and listed stores I have looked at some protein skimmers 2 different sumps and briefly viewed some powerheads ,heaters etc Now I am looking for some experienced advice (the aquarium will house LR and fish at first and some corals,etc in the future). Is this a good size tank should it have an overflow built in,are any of these tanks or equipement I should stay away from or really need ,is a skimmer required where do i set up all this equipment in a sump area on all in tank or could i use a cannister filter (i been told yes but long term stay with a sump How big of sump do i need and powerheads and what kind work the best. whos should i buy all the sand and LR from or fish etc,etc. anysuggestions please and thanks

Keen
06-05-2004, 05:00 AM
I will tell you one thing for sure. If you want to get your tank running quicker, try to find someone who is trying to get rid of their sand. Sand that has been in a tank for a long time has lots of things growing in it, so if you can get your hands on it, do it.

mr_alberta
06-05-2004, 05:53 AM
I think a 75 is a nice size to start with. Since, I assume, you are relatively new to the hobby, a larger tank will be a little more forgiving to rookie mistakes we all make when we first start out (i.e. like not topping off the water or changing the water as often as we should).

In my opinion, I would get a reef ready tank (that is a tank with an overflow built in and a hole or two drilled in for bulkheads). That way, you don't have to muss around with drilling the holes yourself (or getting someone to do it) and building an overflow box, etc.

I personally don't like canister filters on my tank for a few reasons. For one you have to have more stuff dangling from the back of your tank, and secondly, I find them a pain to clean.

I think that a protein skimmer is an invaluable piece of equipment. If you ultimately decide to turn your tank into a reef, I think it would be wise to invest in a good quality skimmer (or make one or get one custom made).

As for liverock/sand, there are a lot of people on this forum who are moving/selling off their system, so you should be able to score some very good deals on rock and sand. Just take a quick peek at the classifieds section (people like mnoll, teevee, Trevor Robertson are some that come to mind off the top of my head).

Just remember to take it slow, ask a bunch of questions, and have fun in the hobby. We're all here to help each other out.

kuatto
06-05-2004, 03:27 PM
I second the vote for getting a reef ready tank.Saves you alot of messing around later when you decide to switch.You can have so much fun and enjoyment with this hobby,just remember to go slow and have fun re-creating your own little piece of the ocean :biggrin:
You should swing by for the bbq/meet today at 6 pm and you can get a few ideas ask lots of questions and meet a few people.