PDA

View Full Version : Metal halide whining sound

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone,

Just setup a 70w halide and the bulb is making a high pitch whining sound. I thought it might be startup sounds but it ran 6 hours yesterday and didn't go away.

Any suggestions

BlueTang<3
04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Is the noise from the ballast or the bulb? I had a de 250 watt with dirty connection at the bulb and it made a funny noise squeal noise. But it was real bad touched the end cap and it fell apart.

The Codfather
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
It's crying, wishing it was an led........

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Is the noise from the ballast or the bulb? I had a de 250 watt with dirty connection at the bulb and it made a funny noise squeal noise. But it was real bad touched the end cap and it fell apart.

Yeah its the bulb, tried to remove it but it's stuck in there so I'm at a loss for how to remove it without breaking the bulb.

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
It's crying, wishing it was an led........

Yeah I know, that's the end goal, but I needed to upgrade my refugium light while I wait for my leds to get here in 2 weeks.

Borderjumper
04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I had one of those cheap ebay bulbs do that. I guess it could be dirty contacts too.. Sounds like your bulb has been in there a while.If I remember correctly on mine you kind of have to push the bulb in one one end and pull the other end out simultaneously

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I had one of those cheap ebay bulbs do that. I guess it could be dirty contacts too.. Sounds like your bulb has been in there a while.If I remember correctly on mine you kind of have to push the bulb in one one end and pull the other end out simultaneously

Yeah its an eBay bulb, and it's getting old. I'll give that a try! I'm used to the spring design where you just press one end and it pops out.

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Any ideas on where the glass bead should be on a 70w hqi bulb? It was facing down when I got it but most people seem to put it up? Does it make a difference?

Borderjumper
04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Any ideas on where the glass bead should be on a 70w hqi bulb? It was facing down when I got it but most people seem to put it up? Does it make a difference?

No clue, doesn't much matter if you can't get the bulb out :) you should maybe start looking for a replacement. Good luck,, 70w bulbs in a known brand are hard to come by. I have prolly 6 different ones and can't say I liked any other than the ushio one.

Aquattro
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Does it make a difference?

No.

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
No clue, doesn't much matter if you can't get the bulb out :) you should maybe start looking for a replacement. Good luck,, 70w bulbs in a known brand are hard to come by. I have prolly 6 different ones and can't say I liked any other than the ushio one.

Yup I've got a ushio on order! Liked the look of it the best and they aren't to bad for cost either. I might try another ebay bulb just for the heck of it. They only run 15 bucks so it's worth a try, or at least as a backup. I guess I have an noisy reef tank for another week until the bulb gets here!

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
No.

Didn't think so myself, but tons of people online seemed to think so!

Aquattro
04-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Didn't think so myself, but tons of people online seemed to think so!

Popular myth. Sanjay did an article on nipple orientation years back, it didn't matter.

Aquattro
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Sorry, Richard Harker

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/1/review

windcoast reefs
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Popular myth. Sanjay did an article on nipple orientation years back, it didn't matter.

Yeah I read that article and it was pretty informative. I just took the bulb out and cleaned it, and now it's quite, so I guess it was just a piece of dirt!

Borderjumper
04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Does when yours start to go South on ya!

Aquattro
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Does when yours start to go South on ya!

TMI