PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Jaws
06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
I'll be running 2 250W 10000K bulbs on each end and 1 250W 13000K bulb in the center of my tank. Do I still need actinic lighting and if so, what bulbs would you recommend? Please be specific.

I also need the right lighting for my 135G fish only tank. What bulbs would you recommend for that? Please be specific.

I just figured I'd ask since J&L are having a sale this month on bulbs.

Aquattro
06-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Do you need actinics? No. Will they give you more blue? Yup. I use actinics for a dawn/dusk effect, plus it adds a bit of blue to the tank. Personal taste will dictate what you need/want/buy.

For the FO tank, you need lights that let teh fish see and let you see the fish. Beyond that, again, personal taste. It doesn't get more specific than that.

Jaws
06-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Can you at least give me an idea of what is more popular? I don't have anything to compare to. And remember, be specific. LOL.

Aquattro
06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately, no. The problem is I can't tell you what you'll like for lighting. I love Radiums on my tank, and some people have come by and hated them. Go figure.
If it were up to me, I would say run actinics. I like the look. If you want what Brad likes, there is your answer. I use the Philips NO bulbs on WH7 ballast. I may change to Uri VHO tubes this month because they're on sale and I'm bored with the Philips. No other good reason.
For the FO tank, I would recommend Uri VHO aquasun, maybe couple with the actinic white. But that's me :razz:

Jaws
06-03-2004, 09:45 PM
What wattage would you use for the fish only lighting? Any chance you can refer me to which bulbs on J&L's website?

Aquattro
06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
What wattage would you use for the fish only lighting? Any chance you can refer me to which bulbs on J&L's website?

I would use the VHO (wattage depends on size in length). The light bulbs are all in the light bulb section. I already gave you the names of the bulbs, so go pick the length and that will tell you the wattage. Easy.

Jaws
06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Not to be a pest (too late), but how many bulbs would I need if I were to go with the 72" 165W Aquasun VHO bulb?

Obviously I'd need 2 of the 36" 95W actinic white bulb. Do I need four or is two good?

Aquattro
06-03-2004, 11:06 PM
but how many bulbs would I need if I were to go with the 72" 165W Aquasun VHO bulb?

Again, if it were me, I'd use 4. @ may be fine for you, but really, as long as the fish can see and you can see the fish, the rest is personal preference.