PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning magnets

Aquattro
08-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Does anyone here use the Algae Free brand of magnet?
http://www.aquariumcleaner.com/

It looks like a good product, but the price requires financing from a bank!! Can someone tell me they're worth the money??

robert
08-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Hello Brad,
I use this one http://www.magfloat.net. Much more affordable. http://www.bigalsonline.com sells it between $11-$39 depends on the size.

rb

[ 15 August 2002, 10:49: Message edited by: Robert ]

bongy
08-15-2002, 05:27 PM
It's best if you can actually try it first. If you are in Vancouver, I will just let you use mine for a while. When I bought my Mag-Float, I was considering the Algae Free as well. But I also have a 90 gal plant tank so my thought is if it doesn't work well in my reef, I can always use it on my plant and buy another one. So far, it's been working really great (the float part work well too).

One more thing to consider is that Algae Free allow you to change the pad while for the MagFloat, you can't. (but it is 3 times cheaper!)

Bongy

Aquattro
08-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks, but I'm in Victoria. I'll see if anyone here has a magfloat. I think Steve might...

Troy F
08-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Hey Brad, Scott has the Tiger Shark model and it has some serious strength. I've got a Mag float and it is okay but as the saying goes; you get what you pay for.

StirCrazy
08-15-2002, 09:18 PM
I have a F-350 mag float for 5/8" Glass, I can stop by on the way to the airport so you can try it if you want tonight.

Steve

[ 15 August 2002, 18:08: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

mrcopitr
08-15-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Brad,

I personnaly use the hammerhead float...it is well worth the money...they are really strong and do a perfect job..and as mentionned you can change the cleaning pad...I've been using mine for 5 months now and did not have to change the pad yet and still clean like when new!!!I leave mine in the tank at all time..so no water dripping all over the place....

Hope this help

Marco

titus
08-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Hello,

Okay I am fascinating now but I have a feeling one day there'd be a battery powered model which creates an extreme huge magnetic field that cleans even heavily encrusted algae. :D

Titus

bongy
08-16-2002, 04:27 AM
Hi Reef_Raf,

I am using the Mag Float 350 on my 90 gal (3/8" glass). I am very happy with mine. It is able to remove even newly-encrusted coraline. However, I think I will probably be disappointed if I bought the lesser Mag Float model. For glass thicker that 3/8", it might be better to get the Algae Free.

Bongy

Aquattro
08-16-2002, 04:58 AM
My glass is 1/2", so I'm not sure what to use. I currently have some Hagen junk that just doesn't cut it. The large MagFloat is $28 at J&L and the comparable Algae Free is $110 (more for the floating one).
Does anyone use the pricey one?

sea gnome
08-19-2002, 01:06 AM
Hi Brad, I have the mag float 350 on 90g with 1/2'' glass and it does a great job. Couldn't, didn't want to pay more for one. Rachel

reefburnaby
08-19-2002, 01:45 AM
Hi,

According to the mag-float website, the 350 can cut through 5/8" of acrylic or glass (there are two versions). Save your money (unless you like the hardwood look)...and buy the ABS mag-float.

- Victor.

EmilyB
08-19-2002, 01:45 AM
I use magnavores. One Magnavore IV downstairs, that I use between two tanks.

Never a better buck spent. I order some replacement pads twice a year.

I bought a mag float, I wore out the pads, now what ???

Shadetree
08-20-2002, 01:33 AM
Brad,

I use the Tiger Shark model and it is the best piece of equipment I have bought for the tank. It is unreal how powerful it is, the Mags are not even close.

Scott

Aquattro
08-20-2002, 04:06 AM
Thanks all. I ended up getting the Mag float....works well and I just couldn't spend the extra bucks for a magnet. I'm sure I'd be happy with it, but 100+ dollars doesn't sit well with me. I tested Steve's magfloat before deciding and it met my needs. I may feel different in 6 months, but think of the interest my saved money will generate in that time!!