PDA

View Full Version : ATO secondary shut-off

Werbo
04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
I have this JBJ auto top off unit.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=JBJ-AUTOT

Seems every week there is a tank crash thread caused by a failed ATO sensor. I've decided that I want to incorporate a secondary shut off incase the sensor gets stuck in the open position.

Any suggestions?

Aquattro
04-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Ya, float valve, like we discussed :)

Werbo
04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Kent float valve is the way i am leaning.

I was hoping there was someone smarter than us who's thought of something better

Reef Pilot
04-20-2013, 06:39 PM
I use this for one of my sumps. But it would be overkill, if you already have an ATO. They also sell float valves for about $13, cheaper than the Kent valve.
http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

gregzz4
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Cheapest way is a secondary float valve, as Brad suggests
Just test it every week

I've already had one float semi-fail since last May (not ATO related, but a float to a relay to shut off other stuff)
I took it out and cleaned it up. Now it's fine

Otherwise, buy a Tunze Osmolator and keep the sensor eye clean

Werbo
04-20-2013, 07:05 PM
I already have a kent float valve that's in storage. So I am all good on that front. :)

ATO pump question. What would be a good pump? Reservoir and sump are inches apart?

strauss
04-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Just my 2 cents. I only allow the ATO power for a few minutes a day via apex. So worse case and ATO fails in on position, minimal damage is done before I notice. Simply figure out your evaporation and how much your pump puts out and allow only enough time to complete the task.

Brandon

strauss
04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
That's if you have a controller. If not forgot I said anything.

Werbo
04-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Good suggestion. But I don't have a controller

Werbo
04-20-2013, 11:56 PM
My ATO reservoir is quite large at approximately 25G.

Do I have to do anything to minimize slime, algae, ect in such a large reservoir.

Is airating the water necessary? Once heard this but his reasoning did not make sense to me.

I should also note that the majority of the time the reservoir will only have 10G. 10G is about 5 days water. I'll only be filling before vacations.

gregzz4
04-21-2013, 12:07 AM
My ATO reservoir is quite large at approximately 25G.

Do I have to do anything to minimize slime, algae, ect in such a large reservoir.

Is airating the water necessary? Once heard this but his reasoning did not make sense to me.

I should also note that the majority of the time the reservoir will only have 10G. 10G is about 5 days water. I'll only be filling before vacations.
I run a heater (optional) and a MJ600 in my 10g ATO
I'd think aerating it would be fine, but you may splash everything around it with the popping bubbles
It's up to you - air pump or powerhead

My ATO tank is out of direct light, but still gets ambient light
I've not had any issues with algae of any kind, only slime. This we suspect was coming from the RO as I was getting air in my RO system between uses, so it's most likely a bacterial buildup

I plan on cleaning out my ATO soon so I expect the slimy-eggwhite crap to go away

Son Of Skyline
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
The JBJ ATO has an auto-shutoff which is set at default to 3 minutes and you can adjust it to go longer. You open up the unit and you'll see a little dial on the circuit board.

My float switch gets stuck sometimes and it will blast for 3 minutes and shut off. The water level in my sump goes up about an inch but no animals are ever affected. You reset it by unplugging the ATO and plugging it back in.