PDA

View Full Version : Ca reactor output directly into tank?

Son Of Skyline
06-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Has anyone ever tried having a ca reactor output release directly into a small system? I'm wondering about potential pH issues, but I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid.

My plan is to run my Ca reactor on a sumpless, skimmerless 20gal tank. Think it'll work?

Jack
06-02-2004, 10:04 PM
A reactor on a 20g doesn't make sense. You would definatly get a low tank pH. Wouldn't you think?

Canadian Man
06-02-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't think so Jack. It would affect a 20g tank the same as a 200g sumpless tank. Now being sumpless it may affect your tank more if you do not have good gas exchange.

The ammount of flow going through the reactor is all relative to the tank size.

I don't think you will have a problem as long as you have good flow in the tank.

Aquattro
06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I think the Ca demand would be met with a 2 part solution rather than a reactor. Sorta overkill. I suppose if you have the reactor already, no harm in trying.

Canadian Man
06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
I think the Ca demand would be met with a 2 part solution rather than a reactor. Sorta overkill. I suppose if you have the reactor already, no harm in trying.

Come on, There is no overkill in this hobby. :rolleyes: :razz:

props
06-02-2004, 11:43 PM
i supposed you can turn the co2 n effluent down and get it to work
but knowing you don't have a bubble counter dood it might be tough
=oÞ
heheh

Son Of Skyline
06-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Hmmm...thanks for the opinions everyone. I do have a reactor available from my 120gal. I don't have a pH meter tho so I'm a little concerned about the pH. I just don't want to have to dose anything! I'll let everyone know if it works i guess.

Delphinus
06-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I'd be a little leery about trying it without a pH meter. I'd say just pick up the meter at some point and then give it a go. If you already have the reactor and other related equipment, that is, and it's just sitting around not getting any use.

On the other hand, a 20g with SPS-load could easily be maintained affordably with two part dosing. A pain to dose 2-part, you say? I saw a brilliant automated 2-part dosing mechanism that involved having the 2 parts premixed in something like a pop bottle or a milk jug, and two air pumps on timers that basically pumped air into the jugs, pressuring them and thus pushing the additive into the tank via air line tubing. The timers were on a 12-hour offset from one another so the one part would dose in the morning, the other in the evening.

The only thing is that the plan did involve some tricky cleverness to regulate the amount dosed, and off the top of my head I don't remember what that was. :confused:

titus
06-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Hello,

I was running a Ca Reactor on a 20g but I did have a sump. My thinking though, is that so long if you drop the effluent in a high flow area, it'd be fine considering the rather slow drip rate for a smaller tank. Otherwise, you can drop the effluent into the skimmer intake. Problem is you don't have a skimmer. :eek:

Titus

bluetang
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
I am almost finished my reactor for my 20g. My plan was just that, to place the efluent tube near the skimmer intake. I'm about 2 weeks away