PDA

View Full Version : Imminent crash...

ogopogo
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, so my friends tank is crashing... fast. Dead coral, loss of fish, inverts seem to be fine though. Well he has a nice brain coral thats not dead, But not doing well. We have narrowed it down to the wrong silicone being used to make his baffles in the sump and thats why things are dying.
My question is, If I take his brain coral and try to bring it back to life in my reef tank (15 months old and stable) will it leach anything in to my tank and cause a potential crash as well?
Thanks!

Aquattro
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
It would be safe moving it to another tank. Give it a quick rinse in some water outside of tank first just to give you a warm fuzzy feeling :)

windcoast reefs
04-17-2013, 10:23 PM
It would be safe moving it to another tank. Give it a quick rinse in some water outside of tank first just to give you a warm fuzzy feeling :)

I agree with brad, The coral itself should be perfectly fine to move to your tank.

ScubaSteve
04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
As for the tank, disconnect it from the sump (since that is the source of the problem), put a skimmer into the tank (it is the petroleum distillates in the silicone that make it mold resistant. The only way to get rid of them is through aspiration ie. skimming/airstone), add carbon to absorb any aromatic petroleum compounds from the silicone and add some purigen (if you have it) to absorb ammonia that might becoming from the silicone (if it hasn't cured all the way) and from the eventual dying biomass.

Best of luck! I've been there.