PDA

View Full Version : Copper Band butterfly Stopped eating

asylumdown
04-16-2013, 12:19 AM
This guy has been my healthiest and hungriest fish for months, he was one of the first in the tank after the QT crash killed all my previous fish. He's fat, and normally eats out of my hand.

3 days ago he started ignoring food completely. He's hiding a lot and will suddenly bolt across the tank as though he's been startled. Today I put in a frozen cracked clam (his favourite) and he didn't even look at it.

I'm a little worried. There's no outward symptoms of anything, no spots, marks, nothing. Any ideas?

fishoholic
04-16-2013, 02:38 AM
It's a copper band. Unfortunately this happens all to often with them. They will look healthy and eat well and be fine for months then suddenly stop eating and die within a week. I had one that was fine for 3 months before going downhill. My other one I had for 4 years then suddenly went downhill for no apparent reason. Not sure why but its common with copper bands.

asylumdown
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
He appears to have gotten over it. The only thing I can think is that he was reacting to a treatment with Flatworm exit. The nasty little red buggers were getting too numerous for my tastes again, and I didn't want to let it get as bad as the first time, so I treated the tank the day before I noticed the CBB not eating. I didn't do a water change after the treatment, just used carbon. I did a 50 gallon water change yesterday, and another 50 gallon water change today, and he went after food today