PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen anything like this?

Bob I
06-02-2004, 03:23 AM
I have just finished redoing my 33G semicube due to a strange occurrence. The tank has always housed two Purple Firefish, and a Bicolor Blenny. They always coexisted just fine until a couple of days ago when the blenny developed a hatred for one of the firefish (I don't know how he told them apart as they are the same size). The minute he spotted the object of his hatred he would chase it into the rockwork, and proceed to nip at it until all the fins were torn. The poor firefish spent its time cowering among the rocks. He never touched the other firefish. I have had to tear down the tank, and remove the blenny. :mad:

christyf5
06-02-2004, 03:48 AM
I've learned that bicolor blennies are strange fish. They seem to get along with everyone until a certain point and then they go after everyone. I got rid of mine for that very reason. At about the 3 inch length mark he started to get quite territorial (ie. the WHOLE tank was to be his). Weird that it went after a specific firefish though. How do you tell them apart if they are the same size? :wink:

Christy :)

Bob I
06-02-2004, 04:39 AM
I've learned that bicolor blennies are strange fish. They seem to get along with everyone until a certain point and then they go after everyone. I got rid of mine for that very reason. At about the 3 inch length mark he started to get quite territorial (ie. the WHOLE tank was to be his). Weird that it went after a specific firefish though. How do you tell them apart if they are the same size? :wink:

Christy :)

It is easy for me to tell them apart because only one is torn up. :rolleyes:

TANGOMAN
06-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Maybe the Blennie is just ****ed off 'cause he awoke to find everything re-arranged again... :lol: .

Beverly
06-02-2004, 10:21 PM
boB,

If you have any Melafix, use it right away at the correct dosage for the size of your tank to help heal the firefish's wounds. Am currently using Melafix in our 72g from h*ll for a dwarf angel with tail wounds. On Sunday, the fish was not eating and barely moving from its hiding place. I thought for sure it was a goner, being in the 72g from h*ll, that is :cry: Yesterday and today, it's swimming well and eating again, though the tail is still showing signs of the wounds.

Bob I
06-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks Bev, I would never add anything that comes from the Melaleuca tree, as I consider the reported efficacy of that stuff an Urban Legend at best. However, I am pleased to report that the removal of the blenny did wonders for the health of the Firefish. It is all healed up, and is back to swimming around with his buddy. :cool:

Beverly
06-07-2004, 09:36 PM
boB,

Glad to hear your fire fish is doing well without the addition of meds :smile: