PDA

View Full Version : Feeding corals

Coralgurl
04-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Fed my corals some acan plus last night that I found when shutting down my other tank and holy crap, have they ever responded! Big and fat today. Have one that had almost melted to nothing and it's twice the size today. Hoping this will bring it back! I've ordered some other coral food at the suggestion of someone which I should have this week. I know some don't feed at all but I def see the benefits already!

brotherd
04-15-2013, 03:23 AM
How did you feed them? Is it only for scans?

Coralgurl
04-15-2013, 03:42 AM
I used a piquette and just squirted it over each head. It's for all lps corals, fed acans, zoas, brain and a couple others.

jorjef
04-15-2013, 04:02 AM
I target feed a lot of mine pellets every morning before the lights come. Has made noticeable differences mostly in color.

Cymaster007
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I feed mine about 3x a week- just use a turkey baster and put some mysis in the mouths of the acans and lps right before the lights go off. the coral has adapted and now they are all open w/ feeding response every night

strauss
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Also coral frenzy. Awesome stuff and I've found it easier than acan plus in Canada.

Brandon

Coralgurl
04-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Also coral frenzy. Awesome stuff and I've found it easier than acan plus in Canada.

Brandon

I ordered some coral frenzy, reef roids and a feeding prong from J&L:mrgreen:, thanks for the info!! Everything is doing great btw, thanks again!!

Coralgurl
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
WTH??? I fed my corals again last night, same response from them all. I have 2 acan frags sitting on the sand, check this morning, and 1 of the frags is a complete skeleton, nothing left of it???? I fed the fish first to make sure they weren't aggravating any of the corals, my shrimp are on the other side of the tank....

The frag had its feeding tentacles out and looked really good. Then bam, just gone.

TheMikey
04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
The frag had its feeding tentacles out and looked really good. Then bam, just gone.

Welcome to the hobby :) It's good to hear that one of your heads of the frag survived. However, losing heads is not abnormal - especially on frags. Keep target feeding the remaining head and, if you're luckily, you should see some growth shortly.

Edit: I'm not suggesting you're a newbie (far from it) just commenting that I've always found this to be a regular occurrence in my tanks.

Zoaelite
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the hobby :) It's good to hear that one of your heads of the frag survived. However, losing heads is not abnormal - especially on frags. Keep target feeding the remaining head and, if you're luckily, you should see some growth shortly.

Edit: I'm not suggesting you're a newbie (far from it) just commenting that I've always found this to be a regular occurrence in my tanks.

+1, there is still a lot we don't understand as reefers it's just part of the game.

TheMikey
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Definitely. It's why I seldom buy colonies of SPS or LPS. Frags are cheaper and seem to have a better survival rate than colonies. There probably isn't a single person in the hobby who hasn't waken up to a skeleton of a coral that looked perfectly happy and healthy the night before.

Coralgurl
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I've never had a coral go so fast!! Everything else looks great so I guess its one of those just things that just happen....

On the plus side, I received my coral food order from J&L today. Great packaging and much sooner than I thought!!

spit.fire
04-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I feed twice a week max. Over feeding can kill corals as the food will rot inside them

monocus
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
i feed live rotifers and 4 different phytoplankton.it's all live,self propagating,and best of all,doesn't matter if i overfeed and can never rot