PDA

View Full Version : Tank center brace removal?

WarDog
04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I would like to go with a single halide fixture (probably an Aqualight Pro) over my new 65 gal. Problem is the tank has a center brace. I'm wondering if this will cause too much shadow and whether or not to remove the brace all together? If I do remove it, will a simple euro brace design be allright to reinforce the structure? Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Reef_Geek
04-15-2013, 12:34 AM
I have a 36" long 65gal that used to have a centre brace. I used a hack saw to cut out the center brace and filed down the burrs. No issues since October.

With center brace:
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/149672_10151274292867953_1070985508_n.jpg

cutting off the center brace enabled one light
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430761_10151345255537953_454412133_n.jpg

but what's better than one light? Two lights.
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378391_10151345255607953_505778592_n.jpg

aquaman
05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice set up Reef Geek! What kind of lights are you using and how did you mount it onto the tank?

Reef_Geek
05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Nice set up Reef Geek! What kind of lights are you using and how did you mount it onto the tank?

Thanks!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_30_Watt_10000K_20000K_Dual_Reef_ Spectrum_Skkye_Light_LED_Tablet__20_Inch_LED_Light _Fixtures-Innovative_Marine-0I10259-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

they just mount on the tank with what's included in the kits.

got 2 of these 90W tablets

1 I got used locally on kijiji, the other I got from a Calgary LFS for $500. Being in Vancouver, you could mail order from US for $350 to a UPS store in Seattle and drive over for pick up.

Zoaelite
05-31-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm under the impression that the plastic trim doesn't really add much structural support so it should be good to go, you might want to PM our resident engineer Steve (SPhelps).

mrhasan
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
I think it depends on the width to glass's thickness ratio. Batfishman's glass seems to be thick enough to withstand the pressure. Meddling with the trim/center braces of a manufactured tank might be putting a timer on the tank itself. Still like Levi said, shoot a PM to Steve. He would be the best person to comment on this.

Here's a link:
http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-tank-brands-kits/center-brace-necessary-42652.html

denny_CC
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
if they used a moulded trim(one piece) then cutting out the brace may not be a good idea as they do this to get away with using thinner glass so the thickness of your glass and tanks dimensions would need to be looked at, removing the center brace could very well be removing the support it needs in the center.

doing a eurobrace may again depending on the tanks glass thickness be an option , pm me your details if you like and i can offer you some advice:)

cheers

denny

concept aquariums

Reef_Geek
06-01-2013, 12:33 AM
good point on the glass thickness.

Just to provide more details on mine.

Glass is 9mm thick. I have a straight edge to measure the bow-out against, because I have inset eggcrate along the top. In other words. the glass bows out but the eggcrate edge doesn't. The gap near the ends between the tank glass (molded rim) and the eggcrate is 3mm. The gap at the center between the tank glass and the eggcrate is 5mm. The delta is 2mm.

ie my glass bows out 2mm at the mid point, which is not very much. On a similar 3 foot long tank with thinner glass (e.g. 33 gallon) you'll see a bigger bow than 2mm.

The molded rim on mine is also much sturdier than what's on smaller tanks (like the 33 gallon). The plastic layer itself is 3mm thick and the width wrapped around/over top of the rim measures 2.5cm

GoFish
06-16-2013, 04:58 AM
Just thought I'd mention my recent experience in removing the centre brace on my 46 gallon bowfront as it could've been disastrous!
First of all, the tank it up and running and full of water. I wanted to cut the brace out to get rid of the mid tank shadow with single 55 LED fixture hanging 4 inches off the top of tank.
I drilled small holes on either side of the brace both at the front and rear of the tank (4 holes total). I then tied 130lb test TufLine braided fishing line connecting the front and back on the left side and the same on the right. This gave me 2 braided line centre braces running parallel on either side of the stock brace (I tied these with many knots as tight as possible). I used a breeding tank floating under neath the centre brace to collect the plastic filings while using a Dremel to cut one end 90% and then the other to 98%.....then BAM! As I came close to making my way through the remainder of the other end, the pressure released and was caught luckily by the fishing line that was tied in. Both lengths of line went tight!
I've since tied more line using the same holes for good measure and consider myself verrrry lucky.

So a word of warning. If not for the support I tied in lieu of the brace, my water, sand, coral, fish would have been all over my living room carpet and if you consider doing this if not already, be careful, some centre braces serve a very useful purpose!

On a brighter note, my shadow is forever gone :biggrin: