PDA

View Full Version : miracle mud

jason604
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
what do u guys think of this product for the refugium? Have any of you ever used it with great success or failure?.. my skimmate seems to be very light cloudy color is this proper or cuz i dont have much bioload? 2 fish and 10 corals.. 75g tank

Proteus
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I think it's a Miracle that people buy it

From what I read add it slow and it needs to be replenished. I've seen some stellar reefs that have no such mud

slakker
04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm trying a product called Mineral mud. I'm not convinced of either, but part of the fun in this hobby is experimentation... I'm trying to see it it improves phyto and pod population in the fuge and it it'll help macro/plants with a root system? The biggest mark is on the pocket book... :)

mrhasan
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
There's lots of controversies around miracle mud. Oh wait isinit that part of this hobby? ;) I am pretty sure when skimmers first came out, they were probably called devils bubbles or something LOL.

Anyway jokes apart, some people had problem with miracle mud while others had great results. Leng's method has yet to take the hobby by storm but those who have success do swear by it. One thing's for sure.....they can grow rooted macros very well.

ckmullin
04-15-2013, 02:50 AM
This sounds like something similar to a freshwater planted tank product...the iron enriched soil called laterite.

Jakegr
04-15-2013, 03:59 AM
I have had good growth in a seagrass tank using mixed Caribsea Mineral Mud/sugar sand. I don't think Miracle Mud is worth the ridiculous price tag.

ckmullin
04-15-2013, 04:04 AM
I have had good growth in a seagrass tank using mixed Caribsea Mineral Mud/sugar sand. I don't think Miracle Mud is worth the ridiculous price tag.

Neither is the ridiculous price of FW laterite! Love those expensive niche products. :)

Cymaster007
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I used miracle mud once in a small fuge for growing caulerpa, it worked ok but regular aragonite worked just as well so it was not worth the price tag.

msjboy
04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Take a look at this large tank from a article on reefbuilders.com ( near the end of the first youtube video) that uses miracle mud.:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/12/06/ecosystem-aquarium-strong-sps-tanks-fish-dominated-mixed-reefs/

Quite impressive results from just using mud in the sump especially with the amount of fish and so little fancy equipment.

From what I read, the mud provides minerals as well as the bacteria that should be replenished even couple of years.

regs
msjboy