PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Snails?

yakiwb2
06-01-2004, 10:27 PM
So me and my buddy redid my tank about five weeks ago, due to a crazy hair algae that seemed unstoppable. Bought 30 more pounds of LR (60 pounds in a 58 gallon tank), new sand, and used DI water for the entire refill. I had replaced my M/H 10k bulb with a fresh one. Of couse I was waiting for the diatoms to start and was hoping the algae break in wouldn't be too much.

Unfortuneately the tank is right back where I started. Long hair algae, and crazy diatom and cyno bacteria everywhere. I Bought 10 astrea snails and 10 margerita snails to help combat the algae and they seem to be doing 2 things.

1. Dying (probably six or seven have become sand ornaments)

2. Sleeping.(thus not eating my algae!!!)

Any suggestions people? Thanks

[i hate algae!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ArghHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: [/b]

christyf5
06-02-2004, 02:09 AM
How long did you acclimate them for? Try picking them up and pressing them against the glass until they attach. That way at least they won't be crab food :smile:

Christy :)

yakiwb2
06-03-2004, 12:23 AM
I floated them in the plastic bag for about a half an hour. Every ten minutes I would squirt water into the bag with a turkey baster. Besides that...that's all I did to acclimate them. I am not a very patient aquarist.

Scavenger
06-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I found margarita snails died more often than other snails. Then I read this article when it came out. I won't be buying any more of them.

Great reading I highly recommend it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.htm

psuedo
06-03-2004, 01:53 AM
you need urchins. Black long spines worked for me.

yakiwb2
06-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the article Scavenger.

Scavenger
06-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Your welcome

Too bad I didn't write it though! :lol: :lol: :lol: