PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow Too Rough?

saltdog
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I have two small 1/2 inch Ocellaris Clowns in a 125 with two hydor Coralia 750 powerheads. They appear to be staying at the top front left of the tank and look like they are always struggling against the current. There's plenty of places in the live rock to take refuge from the current but they wont leave the top of the tank. I shut the powerheads down and they swam around a little bit. Could I have too much flow in my tank?

mrhasan
04-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I have two small 1/2 inch Ocellaris Clowns in a 125 with two hydor Coralia 750 powerheads. They appear to be staying at the top front left of the tank and look like they are always struggling against the current. There's plenty of places in the live rock to take refuge from the current but they wont leave the top of the tank. I shut the powerheads down and they swam around a little bit. Could I have too much flow in my tank?

I don't think two 750s will even be considered as enough flow in a reef tank :P Its around 12x turnover and the clowns shouldn't have any problem with the current. My tank has a 50x turnover and the clowns play around just fine.

Cubeman
04-12-2013, 09:23 PM
My clowns do exactly the same thing - drive me nuts. And no you don't have too much current, if anything the amount of turnover is underwhelming, about 1/2 of what would be considered normal. I have the same 2 power-heads in a 37 gallon for sps.

denny_CC
04-12-2013, 11:44 PM

chances are they are captive bred and have been use to feeding off the surface by people while being raised , it does go away as they get older:)

cheers

denny

windcoast reefs
04-14-2013, 04:07 AM
my clowns have no problem with 4 times that amount of flow. My clowns picked one corner of the tank and almost never leave, I would say they just like that spot.

Myka
04-14-2013, 04:12 AM
I have two small 1/2 inch Ocellaris Clowns in a 125 with two hydor Coralia 750 powerheads.

1/2" including the tail or not including the tail? If that is including the tail then you should be sure to have some calm areas. 1/2" Clownfish (inc the tail) are only a month old or so and really shouldn't even be in a reef tank yet imo. They should still be in a growout tank until they are at least 1" imo. You will need to target feed them to make sure they get enough food, and you should be feeding them at least a few times per day. Why would anyone sell 1/2" Clownfish? :lol:

daniella3d
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
why not get them an anemone, preferably a sebae if your tank is mature enough and if you find a healthy (not white) specimen? A sebae anemone is usually very well accepted by ocellaris clownfish. YOu can also try a bubble tip but my clownfish never went for those and they move around a lot and string corals.

Stonefish
04-19-2013, 01:21 AM
I've actually been wondering the same thing. I've got a 135 column tank with 2 Hydor 600 Gph and 2 maxi-jet 1200. I've got just the one Picasso trigger and he seems to need to swim pretty hard. I think he's getting around alright, just wanna have the best conditions for my fish