PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Magus Curve 5 Cone Skimmer

byee
04-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Setting up a 60g cube tank & considering the Bubble Magus Curve 5 Cone Skimmer.

Anyone on this forum familiar with the Bubble Magus Curve 5 Cone Skimmer? Reviews have been positive.

Thoughts/opinions?

Any suggestions on another protein skimmer with a similar price point and foot print?

Thanks!

mameroo2000
04-11-2013, 07:33 AM
I have Bm curve 7 on my 90g for almos 3 months.
The curve 5 a bet smaller then curve 7 in size but I'm sure will do fine ,
This skimmer will work only in sump so if you don't have one will not work for you .
As quality it's the best skimmer I used so far, and if you planing on getting one go for it

carnut
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
we have a curve 5 on a 75 frag tank. works well. likes a steady water level. Easy to disassemble and clean. Only thing is the way the collection cup fits into body neck, we'll see how long the pressure fit lasts.

I would buy another one if that helps.

byee
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm glad the BM is working fine for you. The price point is great. The having the pump inside the PS really decreases the amount of space required in the sump.

I had a ASM G3 which was difficult to setup and did not work properly until I did the mesh and gate mods.

The foot print for the ASM is 10" x 8".

Do you know if the cone shape of the BM helps increase skimming efficiency versus a standard cylinder skimmers?

Thanks!

Ginu
04-16-2013, 07:25 PM
I just installed a BM Curve 7 on my 75g and I have to say I really like it... I had a RS100 which I bought but didn't fit my sump unfortunately, and so far so good.
Its pretty quiet which is nice especially when comparing it to the noise coming from my external return pump(this is the next thing to change)... So far it looks like its really fussy to water depth and even the ato pumping water for 5-10sec seems to have an effect which tends to be a little annoying, however hope this gets better with time.

byee
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I just installed a BM Curve 7 on my 75g and I have to say I really like it... I had a RS100 which I bought but didn't fit my sump unfortunately, and so far so good.
Its pretty quiet which is nice especially when comparing it to the noise coming from my external return pump(this is the next thing to change)... So far it looks like its really fussy to water depth and even the ato pumping water for 5-10sec seems to have an effect which tends to be a little annoying, however hope this gets better with time.

Ginu,

Thanks for the helpful info.

I like the BM because if the smaller foot print. I read the rs100 is noisy.

What kind of problems are you having with the ATO? Just skimmer water?

Ginu
04-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Ginu,

Thanks for the helpful info.

I like the BM because if the smaller foot print. I read the rs100 is noisy.

What kind of problems are you having with the ATO? Just skimmer water?

I had a RS100 which I just sold since it didn't fit in my sump, and to be honest I didn't find it noisy at all... my external pump is hella noisy along with the MP10's ramping up...

Now in regards to my ATO issue... my tank is a standard 75g with a corner overflow draining into a old style acrylic sump with some stupid baffles which are cut in the middle, so cant partition the sump unfortunately... I have a Tunze ATO which keeps the water height in the sump at a constant 8.5"... however there is still a little discrepancy with the optic sensor and water level... and the skimmer doesnt like this unfortunately, but maybe it gets better with time as it is a new skimmer

you should have no problems if your sump has proper baffles for partitions. I found a wicked company (http://www.elite-aquatics.net/) (in US) which manufactures affordable acrylic sumps/containers and I'm eventually going to buy one from them and ship it to my us mailing address...

I was quoted $550 to $700 for a acrylic refugium/ato tank 15x16*17 with one baffle so a sump from these guys at $300 seems reasonable and supercheap.

balistidae
08-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Did you end up going with the Bubble Magus Curve 5 ??

I am also setting up a 60g cube and am interested in the same skimmer, just wondering how it worked out for you?

byee
08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I spent the last 4 months looking for a cube tank - standard off the shelf as well as custom.

I just brought home my custom 45gal tank from Oceans by Design - a 22" reef ready cube with 10mm starfire glass front and sides.

Cube tanks are customer built in house ranging from 18" to 24".

I'm in the process of building my stand and ordered another custom glass tank for the sump. Once everything is ready to go, I'll be ordering the Bubble Magus Curve 5.

Heard lots of good things about the skimmers. Great price point as well.

Ginu
08-30-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm running the curve 7 on a 75 gallon tank and could not be happier, a little overkill but works well.