PDA

View Full Version : Tunze osmolator or apex?

HarleyC
04-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi,
I just purchased the osmolator from J&L. But, was reading up on the apex controller. It appears to have ATO sensors. So, for another $150 I could get so much more - correct,, or would I be better keeping the osmolator? It is still in box, so I could change.
Thanks,

Aquattro
04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm not aware of any ATO feature out of the box with Apex.

HarleyC
04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Think I may have read wrong. I was looking at some info that described using ATO with Apex and thought it came with float switches.
Still, would I be better going Apex and adding float switches, or sticking with the Tunze?
Thanks

ultreef
04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Think I may have read wrong. I was looking at some info that described using ATO with Apex and thought it came with float switches.
Still, would I be better going Apex and adding float switches, or sticking with the Tunze?
Thanks

The premium version with the optical sensor is the best. If that's what you got then nothing else compare.

But if you got the cheaper float switch version, then I would go Apex. Just add couple float switch and breakout box and you got yourself an ato.

Wheelman76
04-10-2013, 10:56 PM
For the apex you would need to buy the breakout box which is about $40 iirc , and then a float switch or two and then a small pump (toms aqua lifter ) $15

Wheelman76
04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Ultreef types faster than me lol

HarleyC
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks. I do have the premium version with optical sensor, so I guess I will keep.
Cheers

Delphinus
04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I run the Tunze osmolator and an Apex and don't really have any plans to take the Tunze offline. It does its job fine. To me I think what I would consider is, how much do you like to tinker? If tinkering and DIY is your thing, go with the float switches and make your own breakout box for the Apex and have fun. If tinkering is not your thing then price out each option and go with whatever looks better to you.

One thought, the Tunze osmolator outputs 12vdc to run a 12vdc pump. These pumps aren't 100% bulletproof. But on the flipside, they're cheap ($25ish if I recall). So if the pump fails then you can replace it for cheap but you can only replace it with another 12vdc pump.

If you would prefer to use a powerhead then you need a relay. You can either buy the Tunze relay (they do sell a version, around $75ish I think) or DIY something (I went to an electrical/electronic supplier and bought some relays, you have to mount it yourself in some fashion but you'll probably be able to do something in the $10 ballpark). So again comes down to your love of tinkering (or not ;) )

But if you want to go powerhead from the get-go then maybe float switches and the Apex from the start might be the way to go. So long as you're OK with playing around a bit to get it all done.

(For now I just stay with my DIY relay option and don't have to use up a controlled plug on my Apex powerbar. The Tunze is fine enough.)

HarleyC
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Tks. I do like to tinker and have an electronics background. But, time is my issue. May look at the relay down the road. Will hook up the tunze for now though - when I get 5 minutes :)

Coleus
04-11-2013, 01:05 AM
for tunze, make sure you don't let the pump run dry for couple days, this is not a problem with toms aqua lifter with apex. Sometimes, i just forgot to fill ATO reservoir for days :-)

slakker
04-11-2013, 03:14 AM
I would keep the osmolator...

gregzz4
04-11-2013, 03:38 AM
I would keep the osmolator...
+1
I like my controller (not Apex) but trust my osmolator's optical sensor more than float switches. I've had to clean a float lately that luckily I tested and found it to be unresponsive

I hit my optical with a toothbrush when I remember, but it's never let me down yet - 11 months so far
A spare pump wouldn't hurt, just in case ...

banditpowdercoat
04-11-2013, 03:59 AM
I have a bunch of float switches, If your interested. Hit me a PM!

slakker
04-11-2013, 04:18 AM
BTW just as more info, I'ver had the osmolator for about 4 years and when I got it, it had those gimpy stoopid mounting arms. I upgraded to the magnetic mounts (they should be stock now), and it's awesome. The most I've done for cleaning is rubbing my finger over the lens and a fresh water flush over it... it's pretty bullet proof, I was worried about algae or other build up screwing with the refractive sensor, but not even after so many years...

daplatapus
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
The only trouble I've had with my osmolator is the optical eye. We still don't know what caused it but I think it's something to do with the way my ATS lighting. Those sensor's don't like light shining into them :(
Anyway, the optical sensor stopped working but was replaced no questions asked :)

HarleyC
04-12-2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks will keep. Just need to drill hole through wall so I can feed from RO supply in next room. I have 50G sump filled half way, so I'm thinking if I fill my 20G trash can 2/3 of the way. I should still be okay if I have a ATO fail and a return pump fail at same time - right?
My tank is 120G

daniella3d
04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
for 220$ you get all this with the Reef Angel controller.

One temperature probe, one ph probe, 2 ATO float switch and an a power bar with 8 controllable outlets.

If you want wifi for remotly controlling your aquarium or monitoring you add another 109$.

Thanks